Amazing Find!!

josh34

Jul 11, 2006
Hey everyone, here is an unbelievable point I found this morning while sifting river gravel. The asphaultum hafting is still attached, and even more amazing is a piece of the wooden shaft is still present. I'm not sure what to do with it or how to preserve it, i'm leaving it in a cup of water till I get some more info. I'm thinking the wood is the most fragile part and if I let it dry out it might disintegrate. Any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way,this was found in SE Texas. Thanks, Josh

Attachments

• IMG_0860_1.JPG
    IMG_0860_1.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 7,897
  • IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 7,855
  • IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 7,818
  • IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 7,790
  • IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 7,756
Upvote 0
P

pickaway

Holy smokes that is an amazing find.Congrats and enjoy! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

josh34

Jul 11, 2006
One more thing, you can see the impressions of the lashings on the asphaultum, also there was another point hafted with asphaultum found in the same general area, you can see it on Texasarrowheads.com.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I concur....that is one fascinating find you have there!!! CONGRATS!!! I have never seen an arrowhead found like that! WTG!!! :thumbsup: :hello2: :occasion14:

My Update: I agree with those who posted after me...BANNER BANNER BANNER!!! Thank you! ;D

DreamcatcherNC

Jul 22, 2008
Absolutely astonishing!! I would consider that the find of a lifetime. That deserves a single, enclosed frame that will help preserve it for future generations. Wow!

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Hole-----E-----smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply beautiful!!!

I wonder if X-ray would show the hidden details? It is a great example of one method they used to secure the points.

What is the recipe for this asphaltum stuff? I have heard of pitch or hide glue mixed with charcoal.

Looks like they invented the original gorilla glue.

Thanks for showing us.......&......Congratulations!! HH

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
dang thats rare i've found a few with little bit on it but never that much all found in aransas co tx

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
WOW!! I believe it's servived in the water for a few [thousand? ] yr's, a few more weeks /mo's propably won't harm it , your doing the smart thing. I think the wood should be secondery to the asphaultum , don't go throwing it in any polyethylene glycol or somthing untill you are SURE it won't harm the asphaultum . Now if you wanted an X-ray of it , I'd go to your local hospital at about 9 P.M. go on down to radiology and find a bord-looking Radiologist, have him/her "run" a "test" ... with your point .

JPEGasphaultumchips.jpg

SCARED STRAIGHT
Dryed out Asphaultum with chips , don't let this happen to yours !!

Do you know the points type / age ? If not ,do you have any other points similare in shape / size

that you could post ? so other's here could type / age [apx.]

Anxious to know!! ; Blindpig

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
josh34 said:
One more thing, you can see the impressions of the lashings on the asphaultum, also there was another point hafted with asphaultum found in the same general area, you can see it on Texasarrowheads.com.

Saw that too! Josh34 you're the man! :thumbsup:

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Apparently that stuff used to wash up on the Gulf Coast and the locals made good use of it's stickiness. Petroleum residue has been present there ever since forever.

Again, this is so rare it should be featured up top in the BANNER section. I know it's not a tiny 250 year old metal disc with a messy haired fat chick on it but sometimes even ancient stuff should be featured. This seems infinitely more difficult to find than even the fabled Fugio.

Ahem, again I say, BANNER please.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right, It is truely amazing.
Congrats.

Molly. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 7,608
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 7,604

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Gold and oil all at once!

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Stunning find...I hope you don't mind... but I linked your post into Today's Finds...it definitely deserves the attention....you guys just don't get enough respect "down" here with some of the stuff you find.....hope to see this in the banner soon... :thumbsup:

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
That is awesome!! :thumbsup: A true piece of the puzzle. Lets you know for sure just how they attached them. I would keep in in water too untilyou can find out how to preserve it.
Great Find!!

Happy Huntin' , Bent-Twig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread