paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredibly I had both Saturday and Sunday mostly free before the holiday, so with the storm and deep freeze on its way I decided to check out a huge section of woods that had been recommended to me just a few weeks before. It had several roads on the old maps as well as a number of homesites which is promising, but I've found this section of New York has been heavily hunted in the past so most of the sites I find are pretty well emptied.

It was worth a shot though and I reached the first homesite after just 15min of hiking along a rock wall. It's a huge complex of rock structures with a particularly large cellar hole and an extensive barn foundation. There were piles of iron on a few rocks so it seemed very likely that it had been hunted, but I wanted to give it a shot anyways. Perplexingly one of the first signals was a nice early suspender's buckle just under the leaf litter. Then an 1820's flat button. There were a few signals still in the dirt too so I started gridding around the cellar hole. After four amazing hours I lost the daylight so I went back the next day and spend another four hours. The results were spectacular. (There are going to be a lot of photos!) To start this is just the iron:

DSC03769.JPG

There were just an incredible quantity of large iron relics as well as a number of identifiable smaller pieces. In some spots I was pulling out a piece every two steps!

DSC03771.JPG

Three horseshoes is the most I've found in one spot and four ox shoe pieces is also a personal best. There were a number of other horse-related relics.

DSC03773.JPG

Two different bits and a stirrup (only my second ever), in addition to many buckles and harness pieces. I do wonder why so many horse-related items and many were along one strip next to the house so maybe that's where they tacked up their horses? Strange that it wasn't next to the barn though.

DSC03774.JPG DSC03775.JPG

Many farming tools too. Three different garden hoes including one in great condition, as well as two axes. The one axe on the left is the first I've found in that shape. It's always nice to add a new axe type to the collection! :laughing7:

DSC03776.JPG DSC03777.JPG DSC03778.JPG

There were actually two plow blades, but I haven't hiked the second out yet. At a certain point the backpack seemed like it wasn't going to take the punishment which meant I had to keep the trips down to 35lbs at a time. The large tool is interesting and I'm curious if anyone knows what it was used for. If I had to guess it looks almost like it was designed for pulling up roofing shingles. Very cool though and in great condition.

This hunt is also a new record holder for number and variety of buckles:

DSC03779.JPG

This large brass one may be my new favorite non-shoe buckle. I usually find batwing buckles in this area (this site being no exception as I found a broken one), but this style is new to me.

DSC03780.JPG DSC03781.JPG

I also found my very first knee buckle!

DSC03782.JPG DSC03783.JPG

It's made of pewter and I'm so glad to have found it. There was also a second colonial buckle.

DSC03785.JPG

This one was missing a little bit, but oddly was also a surface find just under the leaf litter. It has very fine etchings on the top and is of a particularly dainty construction so I'm amazed it held up as well as it did.

Now on to the non-ferrous finds:

DSC03787.JPG

I'm still amazed at the quantity and variety of relics. They were fairly evenly distributed around the foundation, but there were a couple hot-spots and almost all of the buttons came from one gentle incline across from what was the front door.

DSC03788.JPG DSC03789.JPG

Two dandy buttons, as well a few tombacs, but nothing too fancy. The one in the second photo seems to have a stamped floral design, but that was the only one. The dandy missing a shank is super thick and I was convinced it was a slick copper until I cleaned it up and the shank scar became obvious. Oh well.

DSC03790.JPG DSC03791.JPG

There were two gorgeous bridle rosettes. One has an iron back so more recent, but the more ornate one has a lead back so early 1800's perhaps?

DSC03792.JPG

I was particularly happy about this find. It's a gag loop from a horse harness, but it's in great condition and of a design I haven't seen before.

DSC03793.JPG DSC03794.JPG DSC03795.JPG

I found two oil lamps, one of which is very well preserved and the hinge is even intact. The patent date on the knob is 1864 too.

DSC03796.JPG DSC03797.JPG

The door knob was a surprise since the detector was insisting it was metal and I disagreed strongly. It wasn't until I cleaned it off and spotted the lead slug inside that I understood. Very pretty, but probably one of the most recent relics. The piece of a plate just happened to be in a hole, but the blue feathered edge pearlware is late colonial correct?

DSC03798.JPG DSC03799.JPG DSC03801.JPG

These thin brass pieces are a bit of a mystery; the first especially. The two cylinder pieces have stamped designs all around them and remind me of a paint brush collars, but the tapered one seems wrong.

DSC03802.JPG DSC03803.JPG

I love this find! I think it's a pewter toy gravy boat and despite missing the handle and being a little smooshed is just awesome. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would have been a very nice and expensive toy for a child in those days.

DSC03805.JPG DSC03806.JPG DSC03807.JPG DSC03808.JPG

There were a number of other odd finds including the two tiny brass rings linked together and the pewter pipe like piece. Not sure what either was from, but interesting. I did find the obligatory shoe plate, leather rivets, and crotal bell fragment so I can cross them off the checklist for this site. :laughing7: I'm hoping a whole crotal bell turns up since I love finding those.

What was very odd was that despite the vast number of relics, there wasn't a single coin. :icon_scratch: My thought is that perhaps the person who detected here before was a coin shooter and just dug all the coin signals; hence the odd surface finds. But I did dig a number of good and undisturbed coin signals, so maybe not. It seems likely that the site was occupied from the late 1700's to around the civil war based on the finds so that's a good long range to not drop any small denomination coins. I did find one small piece of mangled silver that was from a larger sterling piece:

DSC03804.JPG

Based on the relics I also think this was a fairly affluent farm, at least in the 1700's so it seems likely that there would be a few coin drops. Very strange, but maybe once I start fanning out from the homesite they'll turn up.

Unfortunately right now there's about 8" of fresh snow and it's supposed to be below zero at night for at least the next week. Hopefully the snow insulates the ground from freezing completely because this would be a great site to spend the rest of the winder pounding. I also have a few more cellar holes along the same road to investigate too. Still, a great new site is about the best Christmas present I could ask for, so you'll hear no complaints from me!

Upvote 35

Ken C

Nov 18, 2017
Mt. Wolf, PA
Detector(s) used
Deus II / Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds! I was shocked you didn't find any coins too with all that. It's there waiting for you! :occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic relic hunt! :notworthy: Congratualtions on finding a new spot to hunt! :occasion14:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a great assortment. Can't wait to see what turns up next!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s a very nice assortment of relics you have there. And I think that intact stirrup is absolutely phenomenal. I hope you clean that one up and post the results. As far as the coinage - it happens. I can’t tell you how many spots that have coughed up killer relics and not a single coin. Or perhaps they’re under all that iron????? Hahaha

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You got a bunch of nice relics. Congrats.

Hopefully some coins will appear. Sometimes it takes a little while.

Best of luck to you sir.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a very nice assortment of relics you have there. And I think that intact stirrup is absolutely phenomenal. I hope you clean that one up and post the results. As far as the coinage - it happens. I can’t tell you how many spots that have coughed up killer relics and not a single coin. Or perhaps they’re under all that iron??

Thank you! I would love to clean up and preserve the iron relics. I tried cider vinegar on more delicate iron relics and it didn't seem to do much to the rust deposits even after a few weeks. Phosphoric acid has been suggested to me, so maybe I'll try that on some of the plain buckles and see if that gets the rust off without eating into too much of the base metal.

The last colonial site I found (which had definitely never been hunted before) only coughed up one half-cent so I'm used to the low coinage yields at these sites. The surface finds just make me nervous that it's been cherry-picked. Whoever it was, definitely didn't spend much time away from the cellar hole though so my next sweep is 40+ feet away and I think that has a good chance of success.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow hot spot Id be pounding that place like I pounded my kid brother when we were young>>LOL Good post

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a great haul there!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt. The pearlware was being made ca 1785 into the 19th century.

TWray

Sep 5, 2016
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a treasure trove of good looking relics. Nice! Congrats.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pewter pipe is a barrel keg tap. I found one very similar to that one a few months back. Definitely a cool find!

DSC07436.JPG

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome spot, keep going back there's gotta be more!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pewter pipe is a barrel keg tap. I found one very similar to that one a few months back. Definitely a cool find!

Thank you so much for the identification! That's another first, I've never found a barrel tap before so that's awesome news!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the genie lamp!!!!! LOL

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an impressive variety of relics. That little gravy boat is way cool and those oil lamp pieces are beautiful! Sounds like you have many many productive hunts come the thaw. Congrats

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great variety of relics. Very nice. Thanks for the pics.

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What an interesting and informative post! Being out here in Southern California, where the norm is too often "clad on the beach," it is eye-opening to see the variety of historic artifacts that one can find in regions of Colonial America. It shows, too, the range of knowledge to be found in the "metal detecting community." Identifying the various artifacts will keep you busy for a long time. I appreciate the quality of your photos, including the ruler guides. Lastly, I like the way you have plotted out the home site and connected the location of where you found each item--definitely some archeology involved in your hunt. Good luck as you return to this site and others, and keep up the good work. You are an inspiration to your fellow hobbyists.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an interesting and informative post! Being out here in Southern California, where the norm is too often "clad on the beach," it is eye-opening to see the variety of historic artifacts that one can find in regions of Colonial America. It shows, too, the range of knowledge to be found in the "metal detecting community." Identifying the various artifacts will keep you busy for a long time. I appreciate the quality of your photos, including the ruler guides. Lastly, I like the way you have plotted out the home site and connected the location of where you found each item--definitely some archeology involved in your hunt. Good luck as you return to this site and others, and keep up the good work. You are an inspiration to your fellow hobbyists.

Thank you for your very kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the post and I must admit I feel the same with many of the posts the UK members put up! There 2000 year old roman artifacts can be the norm with Saxon and medieval finds sprinkled in for good measure. Each region of the US seems to have their own characteristic variety of finds though and it's fun seeing what each detectorist considers mundane in their region, that elsewhere is a treasure. Thank you again and you can be sure I'll continue to dig and discover new relics to post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread