Amazing Site:1783 KG III Half-Guinea Counterfeit & 1 of best finds of year!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Site:1783 KG III Half-Guinea Counterfeit & 1 of best finds of year!

Hey Guys, I'm still on Cloud 9 right now!.....Myself and diggin' buddy Jeff went out to do some field hunting yesterday at a new site hoping to get maybe another King George Copper or something of the like as Jeff had dug a nice counterstamped KGII Copper the day before. I had school so could not make it but on our return, I focused on an area down from the high spot in the field, a spot that had some trash but that hadn't really been hit previously. After about an hours time I had only dug a few pieces of lead and the infamous can slaw which had been strewn about by the plow :( :P I kept on swinging along and then all of a sudden I got a PERFECT signal with a V.D.I. of +45 which is usually a button or a coin. I dug down about 6 inches and out popped a two-piece button! Now this was unexpected as Jeff hadn't dug any out there the previous day.....I was very intrigued at what it might be as the size was not quite Coat and not quite cuff, more of a school coat or vest size......I noticed the backmark was Scovills Mfg Co which is an 1850-1865 backmark and was an unusual shape. This got me very excited as i'm pretty keen as to how Eagle Buttons look and feel and this definitely wasn't one! When I turned the button over, I saw a nice green face but with alot of dirt clumped to it.....when I lightly brushed it away I saw COLUMNS! and IMMEDIATELY I thought Norfolk Military Academy :o :o :o :o :o :o :o But I didn't want to get my hopes up too high until I was sure. But after a few minutes of cleaning away the dirt alittle better and verifying....it was undeniable: a genuine Confederate NORFOLK MILITARY ACADEMY BUTTON!!!!! :wav: :wav:
In the world of Civil War buttons, the N.M.A. button ranks right at the very top as one of the rarest and hardest to find Confederate Buttons, just like the H.M.A.s from a couple months ago. It was originally misidentified by our good buddy Mr. A. Albert as being from Transylvania University of Kentucky and is a VERY WELL known fact that most Civil War Relic-hunters know about. Butch Holcombe of American Digger, Steve Sylvia of North-South Trader, Harry Ridgeway of The Civilwar Relic Man and Civil War relic-hunter and legend Buddy Andes will & have verified this well-known misidentification attributed by Albert.
Norfolk Military Academy still stands in downtown Norfolk, Virginia today and is an exceptionally beautiful structure. It was a military academy before the war and once the South Seceded, a Confederate Military Academy. It was also the military alma-mater of none other than Col. Walter Taylor, General Robert E. Lee's Adjutant and Aide-de-Camp for the duration of the Civil War and the person to General Lee's left in the now famous photo of himself, Colonel Taylor and Gen. G. Lee, Robert E. Lee's son. Many a Graduates from N.M.A. went off to fight in Northern Virginia against the Army of the Potomac.
Having dug this button and the Alabama Volunteer Corps Button (a rare button in its own right) in one month is something I may not be able to do again for a long time because of the rarity of these buttons. Although I probably will never sell it, the Norfolk Military Academy buttons rarely come up for sale but when they do they usually sale for around $1000.00 give or take a couple hundred!

In addition, I also dug a Sweet copper on Monday that I'd never seen before in this area as it was very thin, the size of a farthing and just FUNNY LOOKING! Something wasn't right :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: IT WAS TOO THIN??? And the shield on it was nothing like a King George III Virginia Halfpenny, the only other copper around here with a Shield Coat-of-Arms on it........???
COME TO FIND OUT....IT WASNT A COPPER AT ALL, but a forgery of a gold coin!; a King George III 1/2 guinea counterfeit!!!! That's why it was so thin :o
I love this find as well because I don't think that there are too many in this area...I've never found one around here and I've been digging around here for a long time.....it would've been cool though if there had been alittle gold left on it :dontknow: Oh well I guess, still a pretty cool find!!!

Also ended the day with a Large Cent, New York Cuff and the usual Eagle "A's".

Thanks for taking the time to post to you guys that do. I know its easier to just look at a post and keep trucking so it means that much more when you guys actually post something so I appreciate it fellas :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: HH

ALL FINDS FOUND BY ME ON PRIVATE PROPERTY WITH CONSENT OF THE OWNER

Col. Walter Taylor who attended Norfolk Military Academy is standing on the right side (Gen. Lee's left) of photo.

Robert-Walter.jpg

NORFOLK MILITARY ACADEMY
nor_acad.jpg

NORFOLK MILITARY ACADEMY BUTTON (Confederate Military Academy Est. 1804)

Fresh out of the Hole:

October 6th 2010.jpg

Before Rinsing: (Put it in a pill bottle and caked dirt around it to hold the moisture in and stabilize until I got home)

MD Pics 930ed.jpg

After Rinsing and lite brushing: (More Gilt on this button, will clean it slowly though to keep from damaging)

Front:
October 6th,2010 010.jpg

Back: (Backmark: SCOVILL Mg. Co. 1850-1865)

October 6th,2010 007.jpg

Video:

1780s-1800s King George III Half-Guinea Gold Coin Counterfeit

thumb01099.jpg
(Photo of real George III Half-Guinea)

geot.jpg
geotf.jpg
(Photo of another Countefeit)

MD Pics 924.jpg

MD Pics 925.jpg

MD Pics 917.jpg

MD Pics 923.jpg

MD Pics 926.jpg

MD Pics 927.jpg

181? Matron Head Large Cent

October 6th,2010 004.jpg

New York Cuff Button (Still has alittle crud on it that I'll have to clean off, should clean up nice)

MD Pics 942.jpg

22043_07_10_10_1_37_15_1.jpeg
[/youtube]
http://upload.youtube.com/my_videos_upload

GROUP SHOT (Including 1862 Fatty Indian, Nice Gilted Flower Button, Eagle "A's" and other campsite finds...)

22043_07_10_10_1_35_26_2.jpeg

22043_07_10_10_1_35_25_1.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Amazing Site:1783 King George III 1/2 guinea forgery & 1 of best finds of year!

ppratt said:
Very nice finds. I will go out on a limb and say the coin seems to be an 1811. Could be wrong though

I had to get out my jewelers loop and put the coin under flourescent light and it looks like a 1783. The date is on the tails side of the coin and wasn't at all visible to me without maginfication and a sharp blue light. Had to go in a dark room and use the light and the date popped under those conditions........The date on it looks more like the other counterfeit, smaller and more centered than the real Guinea. With that much of the edge gone, I'm not going to say its certain but that's what it looks like to me....either way is fine though. :) :wink:

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Re: Amazing Site:1783 King George III 1/2 guinea forgery & 1 of best finds of year!

{Sentinel} said:
ppratt said:
Very nice finds. I will go out on a limb and say the coin seems to be an 1811. Could be wrong though

I had to get out my jewelers loop and put the coin under flourescent light and it looks like a 1783. The date is on the tails side of the coin and wasn't at all visible to me without maginfication and a sharp blue light. Had to go in a dark room and use the light and the date popped under those conditions........The date on it looks more like the other counterfeit, smaller and more centered than the real Guinea. With that much of the edge gone, I'm not going to say its certain but that's what it looks like to me....either way is fine though. :) :wink:

Sorry your matron head was what I was talkin about.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ppratt said:
{Sentinel} said:
ppratt said:

Sorry your matron head was what I was talkin about.

LOL OH Okay....I was wondering, I was like "Dang his eyes are good! :laughing9: :laughing9:" :D :D I have to say that I agree though as far as the LC goes, I was seeing "1811" or "1814" ALSO....... however, I believe this coin wasn't issued until 1816 so I'm guessing its a 1817 :icon_scratch: Thanks man :D ;D :wink:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250

I am also seeing 1811 on the large cent. It can't be though so maybe 1817 ? That would be a possibility.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Amazing Site!: 1783 King George III 1/2 guinea forgery & 1 of best finds of year

VOL1266-X said:
Josh, are you and Jeff breaking into museums at night-LOL. I have NEVER seen two hunters have a year like two you have had to date. I know for a fact that you guys work very hard for the incredible finds you have made including the English coinage and CW finds. Don't overload the BANNER BAR on Tnet at the new site. HH, Quindy.

No, NO MUSEUMS Quin ;D ;D :laughing9: Just HARD digging at a good site and ALOT OF LUCK!

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT

I'm just being stupid 1817 it is. I can't believe I said 11. Been collecting for 23 years now, and I goof on that. Oh well I would like to say it's Monday but I can't so I will go with it been a long week (but I know better).

U

umrgolf

I'm glad I could share this site with you and witness some great stuff come out. With all these great finds being made lately, I can't wait to see what comes out next :headbang: Great button!

Swingit

Apr 29, 2007
Southwestern, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac Sun Ray X-1, Tesoro Vaquero, Cibola, Tejon

WoW :o Awesome Button!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BobinSouthVA said:
Wow just Wow

:icon_thumright:

Banner vote for sure

Thanks Bob :icon_thumright: :wink: I tell you, there's some great buttons up near you're way as well buddy! Hope this season goes well for you my friend! :icon_thumright: :wink:

umrgolf2010 said:
I'm glad I could share this site with you and witness some great stuff come out. With all these great finds being made lately, I can't wait to see what comes out next :headbang: Great button!

Thanks partner. It was definitely nice to finally get back to another area and site and have a good time digging like we always do. We should be able to get some more good stuff to continue this year and finish it strong! :wink:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

awesome button!!!!! MR TUFF

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Congrats on a rare one!

That button doesnt surface much, in fact I have only ever seen 1 in person when I lived in VA, dug by someone I hunted with out there. Anyway, great find. Are you going to DIV? If so maybe we can do some digging.
-Evan

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Congrats on a rare one!

metalev4 said:
That button doesnt surface much, in fact I have only ever seen 1 in person when I lived in VA, dug by someone I hunted with out there. Anyway, great find. Are you going to DIV? If so maybe we can do some digging.
-Evan

Indeed, you're right on the money about this button. This button along with the H.M.A.s are our Banner buttons of the year without question. In the 15 years I've lived in Virginia, I've only known one person that found one and that was up near Antietam....As for DIV, I was slated to go and on the list but I withdrew my slot for this one because my girl wants to do something for Halloween and since I've been at DIV for the past 4 years EVERY Halloween.....I couldn't tell her no this time as I Promised her last fall that I wouldn't go to the next Fall DIV hunt :dontknow: ;D That's alright though because I'm looking forward to the Spring Hunt that's going to be back at Beauregard!! There's still ALOT OF RELICS to be found there! Found quite a few nice finds there last time and as you know its HUGE, thousands of acres and we've barely scraped the surface so We will definitely hook up and do some diggin at D.I.V. this coming spring buddy! :icon_thumright: :wink:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

That counterfeit is something special. From the attention you are getting for the Norfolk button I would say that is the Creme de Le Creme. You 2 have made a great team. I would call your partnership The Dynamic Duo. ;D Once again the Duo has yet another great week. :headbang:
Chris

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice bunch of finds. :icon_thumright:

Its likely not to be a counterfiet but an early 19th Century Gaming piece (token). Popular for card games etc.. :icon_thumright:
Although, mostly in brass or copper-alloy, so a slim chance.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Josh that is an awesome button! I LOVE the flower button though. congrats again.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I don't know what to say this time Josh :dontknow: You are beyond being on fire buddy :blob8: Just some incedible find's you've had lately.Congratulation's :thumbsup: I didn't know you dropped out of the DIV.Take care and have fun Halloween.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I do not know the real significance of these findings because I do not live in USA ..... but you know what he does and his posts are very well presented.
a tremendous job. :notworthy:

Sklybones

Nov 16, 2009
Hawthorne Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum xlt Minelab Xt 18000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Boy you guys are smokin hot,,I see you guys on here all the time, great finds,..A quick Question ,I'm going to Fort Eustis Va. in febuary, what kind of weather can I expect,I'm thinking of taking my whites with me and hopefully find some place to hunt.... Congrats on all your great finds keep em comming.

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Amazing site indeed Josh! Congrats on all the great finds!! :hello2: You have my vote also for banner and once again I still think you and Jeff need to have your own banner up top! :headbang: Stellar button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up the great finds!! I hope to share with some finds made out west in the near future also.

Larry

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Nice bunch of finds. :icon_thumright:

Its likely not to be a counterfiet but an early 19th Century Gaming piece (token). Popular for card games etc.. :icon_thumright:
Although, mostly in brass or copper-alloy, so a slim chance.

It could be. Guess there's no real way to tell though being as I'm sure there was ALOT of counterfeit coinage passsing around here in the colonies. I can say that this coin is struck very well and without seeing one of these gaming pieces I wouldn't be able to tell for sure.

Ironman! said:
Amazing site indeed Josh! Congrats on all the great finds!! :hello2: You have my vote also for banner and once again I still think you and Jeff need to have your own banner up top! :headbang: Stellar button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up the great finds!! I hope to share with some finds made out west in the near future also.

Larry

Larry, you're a gentleman of the first order and I always appreciate your nice words and comments. As for your near future finds, I know that if its out West, I have full confidence you're gonna find it man! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread