Amazing Victorian Glass Domed Bridle Rosette!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This item first struck me as very odd when I dug it as I'm not used to digging anything metal with glass attached to it. I thought it was some sort of fancy plug or stopper and dropped it in my finds pouch.

Upon cleaning it up at home, I see that the brass or copper had a nice patina indicating some age probably back to the late 1800s to possible early 1900s. I could see black behind the glass which I figured was simply damage from water. As I sat back and looked at the item I almost fell over when I realized that the "damage" was actually a silvered Gothic-style letter "V" on a black background. But why on Earth would a stopper be monogrammed on the side that you would not see? The metal part with the "handle" appeared to have been gilded at some point, but the gilt is mostly worn off. I showed a photo to our resident relic guru--kuger, who immediately realized that this "plug/stopper" was indeed a glass domed bridle rosette! WOW! I have dug some beautiful rosettes before, but this is my first glass domed rosette and having the initial "V" gives me an opportunity to discover who may have owned it and when! The rosette is approx. 1-1/2" in diameter. Thanks again kuger for your sage identification!

N.B. Sorry for the duplicate post--the original title was too similar to my prior post as to cause confusion. I could not figure out how to delete or rename my new thread. Perhaps the moderators can help. Thanks.

Attachments

• Glass Domed Bridle Rosette107.jpg
    Glass Domed Bridle Rosette107.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 285
  • Glass Domed Bridle Rosette108.jpg
    Glass Domed Bridle Rosette108.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 245
Upvote 3

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
:icon_thumright: Very interesting find.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumright: Very interesting find.

Thanks BM--it's not evident from the pics but there's a solid 1/4" flat glass dome mounted over the initial "V". It's quite an eye catching piece in person.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is just one pretty find! I really like this! Maybe you can get a picture of the glass with a reflection, to show off that aspect.

Thanks for sharing.

HH!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just imagine how fancy that was in it's day. I doubt it was cheap especially with your initial in it. Cool find.:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.
HH
TnMtns

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recovery!

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
That is a nice one. Never found one as fancy as that. Good find.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. I too have found a few but none of the glass type. I do recall seeing one posted in the last couple of years that was domed glass, and had a picture of a horses' head on it. That being the only other (that I noticed) I think is a scarce find indeed.

As far as the title, I sure do like when the title of a post reflects the finds. Generic titles like "saturdays finds" or "back to the park" I rarely click on.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save! It'll make a great display piece for you. Amazing job by kuger on the ID.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horse tack is utilitarian items that everyone would have owned or at least used before the early 20th century.Only a family "of means" would be able to afford to embellish their tack with personalized rosettes.
It would be cool if you can find who that monogram belonged to.
Nice find. Very interesting!

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi StormSurge,

This item is definitely a "status symbol" and I agree with you that it came from a family of means. I will be contacting the property owner with some photos to see if she might know who it may have belonged to. This house was owned at one time by a very prominent family from the area, but the initial doesn't match theirs. I did however find a beautifully hand engraved coin silver spoon back in the summer on another property with three initials and the last initial of the monogram does match this family name. These types of finds that can be linked back to a specific family are by far my favorite. Thanks for your post and kind words!

Horse tack is utilitarian items that everyone would have owned or at least used before the early 20th century.Only a family "of means" would be able to afford to embellish their tack with personalized rosettes.
It would be cool if you can find who that monogram belonged to.
Nice find. Very interesting!

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is an additional photo of the front of the rosette (the scanner really enhances the scratches on the surface of the glass--it looks much better in person that in the scan) as well as a side view of the rosette so that you can see the thickness of the glass dome.

Attachments

• rosette1.JPG
    rosette1.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 170
  • rosette2.JPG
    rosette2.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 161
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Rick,

I have been able to only find a few on the Internet--with not much information pertaining to them or when they were in use. I also checked the UK Finds Database to no avail, but they might call them something different than we do. A member here recommended an excellent book on bridle rosettes which I purchased. I have not had a chance to look there yet. I may try contacting the author. It's a real shame that scarce and interesting relics don't make the banner unless they are CW, Roman, or gold coins. I agree, I have never seen this type of rosette posted before here or on other forums that I have frequented.

Regarding the original title of the post--yes it was supposed to be a play on words regarding my last post, but I realized that many would confuse it with a post they'd already seen. I tried to rename the thread, but I cannot figure out how to either rename a thread or delete it.

Cool find. I too have found a few but none of the glass type. I do recall seeing one posted in the last couple of years that was domed glass, and had a picture of a horses' head on it. That being the only other (that I noticed) I think is a scarce find indeed.

As far as the title, I sure do like when the title of a post reflects the finds. Generic titles like "saturdays finds" or "back to the park" I rarely click on.

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I love the Victorian yards. I recover some of my coolest finds there.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi StormSurge,

This item is definitely a "status symbol" and I agree with you that it came from a family of means. I will be contacting the property owner with some photos to see if she might know who it may have belonged to. This house was owned at one time by a very prominent family from the area, but the initial doesn't match theirs. I did however find a beautifully hand engraved coin silver spoon back in the summer on another property with three initials and the last initial of the monogram does match this family name. These types of finds that can be linked back to a specific family are by far my favorite. Thanks for your post and kind words!

I couldn't agree with you more Erick! I've found some cool items and lots of junk. Either way researching to find out what it is and how it was used almost becomes a passion. OK, " a passion"! And the " linked back to a specific family are my favorite" is the Cherry on top!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rick,

I have been able to only find a few on the Internet--with not much information pertaining to them or when they were in use. I also checked the UK Finds Database to no avail, but they might call them something different than we do. A member here recommended an excellent book on bridle rosettes which I purchased. I have not had a chance to look there yet. I may try contacting the author. It's a real shame that scarce and interesting relics don't make the banner unless they are CW, Roman, or gold coins. I agree, I have never seen this type of rosette posted before here or on other forums that I have frequented.

Regarding the original title of the post--yes it was supposed to be a play on words regarding my last post, but I realized that many would confuse it with a post they'd already seen. I tried to rename the thread, but I cannot figure out how to either rename a thread or delete it.

You can not rename a thread after a certain number of minutes, I don't remember how many, but it gets locked in the data base, as "title name" and then becomes searchable by that name. I sumize that changing the name would "break" the search mechanism ?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen several of the glass bridal rosettes posted on TNet over the years, I was trying to find a post where someone made a positive era ID on them but could not, but sort of remember them being more early 1900s. I found one years ago in a 20th century dump area, I cannot make out what was underneath, but always thought it was a horse's head for some reason.
Here is a link to a Best Finds post made where a few members showed their glass rosettes.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-best-finds/220740-post-your-glass-rosettes.html

Found another link on TNet with more info:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/129435-rosette.html

Also on the link above take a look at this link of someone who makes to this day, but there is a bit of history on them there, says Victorian to early 1900s, which is probably where I got my info from, sure miss PBK, former Moderator and great researcher!
http://www.bridlerosettes.com/bridlerosetteshome.html
Don

Last edited:
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen several of the glass bridal rosettes posted on TNet over the years, I was trying to find a post where someone made a positive era ID on them but could not, but sort of remember them being more early 1900s. I found one years ago in a 20th century dump area, I cannot make out what was underneath, but always thought it was a horse's head for some reason.
Here is a link to a Best Finds post made where a few members showed their glass rosettes.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-best-finds/220740-post-your-glass-rosettes.html

Don

Thanks for your post. Most that I have been able to find on the Internet seem to have pictures on them. I have seen very few that are monogrammed. I have a very good book on the history of rosettes that was recommended by a Tnet member--perhaps there's more definitive information there or maybe the author would be of some assistance. If you are able to come across any more information, please post it! Thanks!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: well I commented on the other thread...Thanks,and I too,am wanting to narrow down a date......I am leaning to 1950's just from the sites I have dug that style(as said before...could be totally wrong there....)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread