Amazing Victorian Glass Domed Bridle Rosette!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This item first struck me as very odd when I dug it as I'm not used to digging anything metal with glass attached to it. I thought it was some sort of fancy plug or stopper and dropped it in my finds pouch.

Upon cleaning it up at home, I see that the brass or copper had a nice patina indicating some age probably back to the late 1800s to possible early 1900s. I could see black behind the glass which I figured was simply damage from water. As I sat back and looked at the item I almost fell over when I realized that the "damage" was actually a silvered Gothic-style letter "V" on a black background. But why on Earth would a stopper be monogrammed on the side that you would not see? The metal part with the "handle" appeared to have been gilded at some point, but the gilt is mostly worn off. I showed a photo to our resident relic guru--kuger, who immediately realized that this "plug/stopper" was indeed a glass domed bridle rosette! WOW! I have dug some beautiful rosettes before, but this is my first glass domed rosette and having the initial "V" gives me an opportunity to discover who may have owned it and when! The rosette is approx. 1-1/2" in diameter. Thanks again kuger for your sage identification!

N.B. Sorry for the duplicate post--the original title was too similar to my prior post as to cause confusion. I could not figure out how to delete or rename my new thread. Perhaps the moderators can help. Thanks.

Attachments

• Glass Domed Bridle Rosette107.jpg
    Glass Domed Bridle Rosette107.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 286
  • Glass Domed Bridle Rosette108.jpg
    Glass Domed Bridle Rosette108.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 246
Upvote 3

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool, Erik. Not a find you see every day. Definitely a display piece to cherish.

SusanInColumbia

Greenie
Sep 6, 2012
Columbia,SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're exactly right! This is a bridle rosette. These rosettes were prominent during the late 1800's-early 1900s and served as a way of identifying or designating a stable, farm or business. Such companies as the Akron Hardware Co., the Waterbury Manufacturing Co. and the Enterprise Mfg. Co (under the Pfleuger trademark) offered ornamental Roman, block or Gothic lettering on many types of background matting. Some had rounded tops; others had flat glass tops. The mountings were typically polished brass or nickel. Great find!

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Susan for your sage input on the rosette and definitive date range. Yes, I really like this rosette as it ties back to a family name or business and it's a real eye catcher. I'll be taking a look at that beautiful book on rosettes that I purchased on your recommendation!

You're exactly right! This is a bridle rosette. These rosettes were prominent during the late 1800's-early 1900s and served as a way of identifying or designating a stable, farm or business. Such companies as the Akron Hardware Co., the Waterbury Manufacturing Co. and the Enterprise Mfg. Co (under the Pfleuger trademark) offered ornamental Roman, block or Gothic lettering on many types of background matting. Some had rounded tops; others had flat glass tops. The mountings were typically polished brass or nickel. Great find!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again your thirst for history has netted u a Beautiful find ERIK!!! Keep the passion alive my friend.. CONGRATS.. HH the other ERIK.. lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread