Amelia Island Gold

S

Sovereign62

May 28, 1897, Wednesday - BURIED GOLD IN FLORIDA; Alleged Recovery of $45,000 in Old Spanish Doubloons on Amelia Island, Near Fernandina. PROFITS OF A KEEN NEGRO Stole Charts and Money and Fled to New York, Followed by His White Partner -- A Local Lawyer Outwitted.

FERNANDINA, Fla., May 27. -- Within the past few months $45,000 have been unearthed on Amelia Island, near this city, consisting of two finds of gold doubloons of the Spanish Government. They have created a sensation. In both instances the searches were conducted very secretly and the money was taken away before the truth was made known. http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9501EFDE163DE433A2575BC2A9639C94669ED7CF

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the article on several different levels.

Nothing politically correct about the article in today's terms, but historically amusing. Does it prove any gold was there? Possibly, but it shows that folks have been digging up Amelia for quite a while now.

Interesting to note, lawyers have not changed much over the years.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there be much treasure on Amelia Island that I know fer sure , but the finding of it and the "legally" getting to be two differant things indeed. :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread