English Gold coins?

panama

Nov 16, 2008
sneads fl
Anyone know anything about this:

Seven pony loads of English gold coins worth $100,000 were buried by the Seminole Indians in 1818. The money was from the British for their support against the American colonies. The indians were being pursued by Andrew Jackson and lightened their load while trying to escape. The site selected was at a swamp know as old Yarbor Pond, also called the money pit, just north of hwy 2 and northeast of the junction of hwy 2 and the Chattahoochee river on Carter's Mill Creek. They say it has never been found.

Anyone ever heard this story and possibly know more?

thxs in advance. :help:

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Keep me posted if you find any more information. I have a story I am researching on the British period in Florida. Although 1818 is a long time after this period of 1784 . Attached is a picture I took at a Reenactment.

panama said:
Anyone know anything about this:

Seven pony loads of English gold coins worth $100,000 were buried by the Seminole Indians in 1818. The money was from the British for their support against the American colonies. The indians were being pursued by Andrew Jackson and lightened their load while trying to escape. The site selected was at a swamp know as old Yarbor Pond, also called the money pit, just north of hwy 2 and northeast of the junction of hwy 2 and the Chattahoochee river on Carter's Mill Creek. They say it has never been found.

Anyone ever heard this story and possibly know more?

thxs in advance. :help:

Attachments

• BritIndian2.jpg
    BritIndian2.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 375

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread