American Digger (disgusting)

arrowheadted

Jun 2, 2012
So I stumbled across a show called American Digger. I don't know about the rest of you guys but this show makes me sick to my stomach. Not for the things they find but because of the bad light they shine on us as relic and treasure hunters alike. He just stated that ( we are professional, we recover artifact and sell them for a profit). Makes me sick, they are only after making a profit, and seem to piss off a lot of people along the way. They sell all the things they find and the artifacts loose all historical context that they were found in. I say boycott the show and hope they go off the air soon before they ruin it for everyone. Ha, they just said (forget the shovels, it will take too long. Let's get out the backhoe), this if after he just promised the landowner that they will never know they were ever there. Just had to vent, I fell a little better now.
HH

Last edited:

Dr Freezelove

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I too have never seen this show, until today. Backhoes and excavators are you kidding me? I would say they showed us the edited portion of their finds but at the end they said they did far better off camera. What an incredible success rate I guess they are in fact the premeir artifact and relic recovery company in th US. Wow! Who in there right mind would pay the kind of prices the dealers agree upon? Also some of the items buried 100 years come out of the ground with surface rust, I'm not buying that either. Now I'm wondering what happens when I ask someone to dectect on their property and they will be looking for a thousand dollars when I'm done. In my opinion this show will hurt this hobby in the long run for everyone.

Last edited:

Rockpicker1

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm with you on American digger. Just watched part of a show. They found an old level and said it was worth $200.00. I'll sell them one for $10.00 and it will look better than the one they found.

Dr Freezelove

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another update - The episode in Louisiana where they find the double eagle gold piece and the sell it to the dealer, he picks up a stack with a $10,000 wrapper on it and fans it under his nose and you can see all the $1.00 bills on the inside. This show is a big fake I know alot of other folks get upset when there is a show about their hobby or profession but I'm just starting out and hoping this would be a great show to get some pointers, ideas, whatever, cant believe its so FAKE.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've personally Boycotted Spike since the show.

I will never watch Spike again, no matter what they air. until there is an announcement those shows
will never air on TV again.

Gi_Jungle

Aug 17, 2012
Glenville,NY
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites Spectrum XLT, Pro Pointer
I think the show with the joose boys finding all that civ stuff a little more entertaining!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the show with the joose boys finding all that civ stuff a little more entertaining!

I agree. they are at least detectorists.
and their attitudes tolerable by my standards.

they didn't fake their finds.

Gi_Jungle

Aug 17, 2012
Glenville,NY
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites Spectrum XLT, Pro Pointer
That show is called "diggers" right? I'm sure a lot of us can relate to the nuttiness the guys on the show have. Hell some of my finds made me want to do a jumping heel click!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That show is called "diggers" right? I'm sure a lot of us can relate to the nuttiness the guys on the show have. Hell some of my finds made me want to do a jumping heel click!

Yes & I believe it was on NatGeo

My first viewing of "Diggers" I thought they were over acting a bit,
and they definitely exaggerated values of their finds.
But after seeing "american diggers" the"diggers" on NatGeo seemed Professional in comparison.

OP
OP
A

arrowheadted

Jun 2, 2012
I'll have to check out the "diggers" show, I do love anything that has to do with metal detecting but American diggers is completely intolerable. I like my shows to be based in reality.Thanks for all the comments, and remember to boycott the show and tell all your friends to also.

OP
OP
A

arrowheadted

Jun 2, 2012
If any of you are on Facebook Ric Savage has 2 pages where he promotes this crap. That are
American savage. And
ric and Rita savage
Let's drive them crazy with negative posts
Thanks

OP
OP
A

arrowheadted

Jun 2, 2012
Ha, he blocked from both his sites within minutes of posting on them. I guess he can't handle the truth.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone calm down. It is a TV show. They have a producer, a director, the entire support folks probably including the caterer. The finds are planted, the antique people are given their lines to learn, probably money and for sure they are given money to pay old BoomBaby. Really? A valuable treasure wherever they go. It's a TV show, made for entertainment and ratings. He sold the idea to NatGeo or to someone that would finance it. They in turn sold it to NatGeo. And now NatGeo is selling it to us. And most of you believe it. The hint is that he is an ex-wrestler. That's really real too isn't it?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone calm down. It is a TV show. They have a producer, a director, the entire support folks probably including the caterer. The finds are planted, the antique people are given their lines to learn, probably money and for sure they are given money to pay old BoomBaby. Really? A valuable treasure wherever they go. It's a TV show, made for entertainment and ratings. He sold the idea to NatGeo or to someone that would finance it. They in turn sold it to NatGeo. And now NatGeo is selling it to us. And most of you believe it. The hint is that he is an ex-wrestler. That's really real too isn't it?

Not NatGeo,
Spike TV
Boycott "Spike TV" & "american Diggers"

Last edited:

Aurora64blue

Sep 25, 2009
South Eastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tiger Shark, Fisher F70, Vibra Probe 580
Hi folks:

I've only seen one episode of American Diggers. I can recall one scene where one of his team digs a plug on a private ownsers front lawn using thinking that it is an old coin, it turns out to be a crushed can. The guy looks at the camera, says something like "just crap", and then throws the can out towards the owners front lawn.

Regardless if the majority of the finds are planted, these guys are a joke. And I concur with everyone on this thread that this show really puts bad light on our wonderful hobby. Purely for profit and a total lack of regard for the owners property, or the possible history that they may accidentally uncover. I hope that it goes off the air sooner than later before it starts to seriously damage our own reputations.

Cheers to all,

Aurora64blue, (Toronto, Canada)

OP
OP
A

arrowheadted

Jun 2, 2012
austin said:

I totally agree that this show is staged just like all the other reality tv shows. And that right there is the main problem. Most members on this site are passionate responsible relic and treasure hunters that do out best to leave the hobby with a good lasting reputation. We all seek promising sites, obtain permission, clean out the trash, fill our holes, and thank the property owners for a chance to hunt their property. But this show counteracts all the hard work and good will that we practice. What worries me is that property owners may watch this show and say to themselves (no way will I ever let someone metal detect my property) before we ever seek their permission. Or worse yet a state or federal archaeologist sees one of these shows and decides to convince members of congress to pass a law to illegal to metal detect at all on both private and public lands in an attempt to preserve historical sites. There are already plenty of laws on the books that limit metal detecting in almost every state. So I guess what I am getting at is that if we don't defend our hobby from crap like this, then who will. And if we aren't careful we may not have anywhere to take our kids to metal detect. Boycott American Diggers now!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea,the show is a joke. I have watched two of the episodes and they got thousands of dollars for rusty junk... Yea right. The same stuff could be bought all day long at antique shops for 10% of the so called value. Just a show for ratings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread