Prospecting
Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not, that's kinda complex question - since I was mostly on the Yuba river watershed, and not been to NF American in several years, I'll leave
to those that know here. If you don't get an answer try the mining shop in Auburn - they are very nice and will know.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anybody out there have any info about prospecting the the north American river?? Do you need a permit to prospect with a sluice box or metal detector?? I'm excited about getting out and having a good time any info is welcomed. Thank you to you all!! Happy hunting!!
The rookie!!

sir my experiances on the NF American River begin at Ponderso Way and up on past Stevens trail up past AUBURN STATE REC AREA into Wild And senic.. As prospecting with a sluice box and handtools are allowed an I also believe the use of metal detectors is legal in the pursuit of minerals but not historical artifacts. There is a ten doller fee at the 3 of the places to acsess to the river!! IOWA HILL,YANKEE JIMS AND PONDEROSA I would advise you to Contact ARSA and double check as rules and regulations seem to change alot. Even withen the ARSA lands their is private property that you should be aware of though I think these are more in the Yankee jims area. I hope this somewhat helped

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marshall is correct.
Panning, Sluicing, and Metal Detecting is allowed without a permit in ASRA. Metal Detecting is allowed EAST of Hwy. 49 only and not around historical spots. Where are the historical spots? They won't tell you so be carefull.
Also the fees are for parking within the iron ranger zone. Outside of the zone there is no fee to park (But you will learn how to be a mountain goat).
Have fun, good color down there.
Steve

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hemisteve said:
Marshall is correct.
Panning, Sluicing, and Metal Detecting is allowed without a permit in ASRA. Metal Detecting is allowed EAST of Hwy. 49 only and not around historical spots. Where are the historical spots? They won't tell you so be carefull.
Also the fees are for parking within the iron ranger zone. Outside of the zone there is no fee to park (But you will learn how to be a mountain goat).
Have fun, good color down there.
Steve

Thank you Steve for the tips!! Good luck out there!!

Matt

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MadMarshall said:
sir my experiances on the NF American River begin at Ponderso Way and up on past Stevens trail up past AUBURN STATE REC AREA into Wild And senic.. As prospecting with a sluice box and handtools are allowed an I also believe the use of metal detectors is legal in the pursuit of minerals but not historical artifacts. There is a ten doller fee at the 3 of the places to acsess to the river!! IOWA HILL,YANKEE JIMS AND PONDEROSA I would advise you to Contact ARSA and double check as rules and regulations seem to change alot. Even withen the ARSA lands their is private property that you should be aware of though I think these are more in the Yankee jims area. I hope this somewhat helped

Thank you sir for the tips as well. That really helps I'm just learning where to go and explore different areas, any other tips I'm open and welcome others!! Thanks again and good luck hunting!!

Matt

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you sir for the tips as well. That really helps I'm just learning where to go and explore different areas, any other tips I'm open and welcome others!! Thanks again and good luck hunting!!

Matt
Alot of people seem to go to the bear river next to the campground and there is always people and it could be a good place to watch and talk to other prospectors though I must say that I personally put no stock in the bear river for payable gold. But I have met a many man swear by it. good luck to you

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great info guys, thanks. :)

From what I have heard, shirtail Creek at Yankee Jims is Private Property, I dont know how true that is as I have seen a lot of video's of people working that area on YouTube.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM - did you ever find what you wanted about the Comstock's K.B. claims?

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MM - did you ever find what you wanted about the Comstock's K.B. claims?

NEVER enough. but yes I have been informed a little more but always looking for more.exspeacially first hand knowledge.. You know something?

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER enough. but yes I have been informed a little more but always looking for more.exspeacially first hand knowledge.. You know something?
I replied to your earlier question on another thread with email contact link to the Comstockers, and approx. location of claim. Reed Lukens
commented just below me that access was very remote and requires posi low gear. Sounds like your dream area!

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I replied to your earlier question on another thread with email contact link to the Comstockers, and approx. location of claim. Reed Lukens
commented just below me that access was very remote and requires posi low gear. Sounds like your dream area!
Truthfully I have been down on the NF MF American river about a dozen times last year and spent the majority of the time finding different way's to get to the river and exploring the area. I haven't sampled the area as much as I had hoped last year but the time I spent in the area LOST will be of great use. I will be back april I think but weather has ultimate say. Untill then it's the NF American.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread