Old drill holes in my property

zumben

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
henderson nc
Detector(s) used
i would like to learn how to. I live on two acres that i would like to do sme metaldecting on.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mules, chinese

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
with a prayer that it wasn't a zincon at the bottom of the hole.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1800's is a bit vague....you have some pretty significant leaps and bounds in mining technology from 1849-1899

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Before jackleg drills/compressed air drills with or without water to stop the dust, they used a single-jack (smaller sledge hammer/shorter handle--one guy working alone) or a double-jack (bigger sledge hammer/longer handle--usually two guys), and they used a variety of drill steel/types/lengths. Here's a little link that might help you.
Hand Drilling and Breaking Rock for Wilderness Trail Maintenance - 84232602 - Forest Service Publications - Publications - Recreational Trails - Environment - FHWA

All the best,

Lanny

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if their big enough to see still...it wasn't a single or double jack, and those where mainly used for blasting holes I believe right guys? If it was for Placer sampling I would think more t
like an auger in a casing just like nowadays????? What makes you think its a drill hole? and from 19th century. also i wouldn't expect a drill hole from the 1890s to make it past 1901.......ive seen drill holes filled within one winter on property developments.If you are in a gold bearing area and it was mined i would be looking for "prospects" dug test holes....trenches,cuts, small holes near exposed bedrock. Test drilling was also used extensively during the depression..some sheltered drill holes may have made it

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if their big enough to see still...it wasn't a single or double jack, and those where mainly used for blasting holes I believe right guys? If it was for Placer sampling I would think more t
like an auger in a casing just like nowadays????? What makes you think its a drill hole? and from 19th century. also i wouldn't expect a drill hole from the 1890s to make it past 1901.......ive seen drill holes filled within one winter on property developments.If you are in a gold bearing area and it was mined i would be looking for "prospects" dug test holes....trenches,cuts, small holes near exposed bedrock. Test drilling was also used extensively during the depression..some sheltered drill holes may have made it

Gold Guy, don't know where you're located but I'm In Western NC and I have part of on old 1800-1900 gold mine on my farm and there are a lot of tailing piles where they mined. Back to the drill holes there are numerous ones on the hillsides 4"-6" in diameter and on one wash in the woods there are probably 75-100 drill holes along side the wash but no tailing piles so I assume they never gold mined it but maybe they were looking for something else besides gold. Well I invited a geologist to my farm who is director of operations at a large feldspar mine and showed him the holes and asked him if these holes would still be basically open 100-150 years later and he said yes. Some have caved in somewhat at the top but I can take my hiking stick and gouge down 3'-5' with very little trouble. Maybe in other areas the holes would not be visible after a short time but apparently it is different here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread