May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I was low on options, I took up an old permission to do a small test pit in the back garden. Before I did this I ran the detector over the lawn & cherry picked throw all the junk and got a few modern coins & a 1967 Penny.
This garden used to be in the centre of a Roman Town, but I didn't realise I would have to dig over 4ft to get to the Roman layer. I got plenty of animal bones, Roman pot shards, but no metal objects. I did find at the deepest point the largest 1st Century AD Pot Rim from a huge storage jar.
I was laughing to myself about another button-less dig & it wasn't until I got home & opened a small tin, that I realised I had my button for the day:laughing7:

Not much to show for it but a little back pain, but if you don't try you will never know.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 82
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 3
Pretty cool hunt, better luck on the next one! I like the way the cubed the grass/dirt for reassembly :icon_thumright: !

TommNJ

Pretty cool hunt, better luck on the next one! I like the way the cubed the grass/dirt for reassembly :icon_thumright: !

TommNJ
When I put it all back, you could hardly tell the difference.:thumbsup:

Not bad for a "test pit" ... Did you use a probe for locating this spot or just dug and look what shows up?

is in the yard of your own home or in a nearby park ?

Not bad for a "test pit" ... Did you use a probe for locating this spot or just dug and look what shows up?

I choose it at random, but away from the tree roots.

is in the yard of your own home or in a nearby park ?

Friends yard (I could never dig like that in a park), which was within a large Roman Walled Town, close the the original/first Fort & by the main roman road through the middle of the town.

Last edited:
Wish I could dig in my backyard, but I'd probably just find the apartment below mine.

In my case, I guess the only difference between treasure hunting and burglary is a flight of stairs.

Last edited:
spiffy digs, i think that is a modern button but it may old happy huntinn

spiffy digs, i think that is a modern button but it may old happy huntinn

its very modern, but 1 more on the count:laughing7:

WOW that's dedication, or is it just addicted to diggin. I can't imagine digging a 4 foot deep hole, at random.

It does give me an idea though, behind my house there was a previous property, one spot is littered with metal, I just might dig it up someday when I can't go somewhere else.

WOW that's dedication, or is it just addicted to diggin. I can't imagine digging a 4 foot deep hole, at random.

It does give me an idea though, behind my house there was a previous property, one spot is littered with metal, I just might dig it up someday when I can't go somewhere else.
Its the unknown possibilities, I may have dug up a whole Roman pot, unlikely, but something I have never had. I have the blisters to prove may failed attempt, but didn't stop me digging 5 hours today:laughing7:

Its the general right area, & now I know the general depth of the finds. I had Victotian at 3ft & Roman at 2ft, it was all messed up until about 4ft.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back