Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you really want to avoid getting your nice XP leather control box case wet and are looking for a good weather resistant alternative---one which must be convenient, inexpensive, proven reliability in harsh environments, fits on your belt and provides a nice protective home for your control box, I found that the Army first aid/compass pouch does the trick for me.

I was even able to line the pouch with a thin padding that helps protect the unit. The control box fits nice and snugly in there with the pad lining but even without it, the case does the job! I also placed the control box itself in a 3x5 ziplock bag to further protect it from rain and the screen from scratches and it still fits nicely within that pouch—works great but as I always say, that’s just the view from my foxhole.

Here's one but you can easily find them in Army Surplus stores: http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Military-...973&sr=8-10&keywords=first+aid+pouch+military

Last edited:

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool. I bought the armband and today wore it on my arm for the 1st time. Thats the ticket for me. Really convenient. I settled with wearing it on the side of my arm so there is no effort in seeing the readouts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
I got an armband also as part of the $100 certificate when I bought my Deus. I like it but still concerned about rain and water damage. I'm still at the stage where I'm trying to determine what will work best for me.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Check this out starting at about 2:20. You could mount this on the armband with the 3M super velcro. 100% waterproof and the silicone membrane is better than the armband material for adjusting settings:

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
That too is a great set up---good video! Seems you and I have the same thought patterns and concerns regarding how to protect our control boxes! :icon_thumleft:

I bought the slightly larger Wave so I could put one of those gel Dessicant packs in there with it. Our weather here in Florida is so dang humid in the summer that the possibility always exists for condensation to form in any waterproof pouch or dry box. This small pack prevents that and the damage to the unit that would result.

RE: The Armband--I put the control box in a 3x5 ziplock bag with a Dessicant pack and that works out great for protecting the unit on our Florida beaches and afternoon showers. The whole thing fits very nicely in the armband.

Soldier on...

Last edited:

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That too is a great set up---good video! Seems you and I have the same thought patterns and concerns regarding how to protect our control boxes! :icon_thumleft:

I bought the slightly larger Wave so I could put one of those gel Dessicant packs in there with it. Our weather here in Florida is so dang humid in the summer that the possibility always exists for condensation to form in any waterproof pouch or dry box. This small pack prevents that and the damage to the unit that would result.

RE: The Armband--I put the control box in a 3x5 ziplock bag with a Dessicant pack and that works out great for protecting the unit on our Florida beaches and afternoon showers. The whole thing fits very nicely in the armband.

Soldier on...

Excellent idea on the absorption packets. I never really thought I'd be using the deus as its for my wife but I'm really liking it. For now if it rains I'll just switch to the CTX.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just found a brand new unopened WAVE on ebay for $8.71 shipped. Also the super velcro from 3M was $1.67. So for less than $10.50 I can make this thing right. :headbang:

I'll snap a pic once I get it set up.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
I just found a brand new unopened WAVE on ebay for $8.71 shipped. Also the super velcro from 3M was $1.67. So for less than $10.50 I can make this thing right. :headbang:

I'll snap a pic once I get it set up.

WOW!!! Great find...and you didn't even need a metal detector! :occasion14:

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
lol. My wife will wear it. It'll keep the machine nice and light for her. Its amazing how light the XP is even with the 13" coil. I can swing it all day with no prob. at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread