New Deus user

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Got my Deus Monday and have used it for about 5 hours since. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer for me. This is the noisiest machine I have ever run, and hits iron in the 90s. I am running the basic 1 program at 8 khz, the sensitivity at between 80 and 85 and ground balance at tracking. With every swing in heavy iron I will get churping signals all over the place. What am I doind wrong?

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure anything. This machine just picks it up!!! Hard stready tones are good......chirps to me are mainly trash.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Check this guy's video. He uses his Deus in his heavy iron test bed, and shows you how to quiet it down. Now keep in mind since you're a new user, it will take you some time to figure out why these settings do what they do. Recommend a lot of reading (manual + Andy Sabisch's book (The Deus Handbook)), video watching, etc. Of course, your best training method will simply be to put in lots of hours. After a while, you'll be running circles around the competition.

or do a Youtube search for "XP Deus Demonstration" if the link gets stripped out for some reason.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got my Deus Monday and have used it for about 5 hours since. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer for me. This is the noisiest machine I have ever run, and hits iron in the 90s. I am running the basic 1 program at 8 khz, the sensitivity at between 80 and 85 and ground balance at tracking. With every swing in heavy iron I will get churping signals all over the place. What am I doind wrong?

Where is your descrim set at? 15 is a good spot to use for someone new to it.

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
usually the iron in the 90's is large,flat,or shallow.After sometime you will be able to tell the difference.This fools most all machines.The really round sounding targets,with either low 90's or 80s are usually coin areas.I have foind some coins all the way down in the 60's.At this point I try to dig the round,clean sounding targets with a good tone.Im starting to get better.You will get it,dont give up. Good Luck. Jim T

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try setting your reactivity to 2 and silencer to 2 to get started. A disc of about 15 with sensitivity at 85 and let her roll. Take a quarter to your detecting site with you. Put the quarter on the ground and sweep from about 6 inches above it. Listen carefully to the tone. A nice clean tone. When you get over big iron you will see some high 90's come in the window with high tone but it will be a different sounding tone=deeper and not as pleasant to listen to. When you get over one of these high 90's try and pinpoint it to judge the size, Also lifting the coil up say 5=6 inches while sweeping; if you still have the unpleasant tone is a clue that it's big iron. You can even try rotating around it while sweeping and if it starts breaking up is a clue as well. Sometimes you can just stick your shovel in near the supposed big iron and then resweep and your deus won't give tone anymore or a broken tone-definitely iron. Be patient the deus is worth the wait.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Try setting your reactivity to 2 and silencer to 2 to get started. A disc of about 15 with sensitivity at 85 and let her roll. Take a quarter to your detecting site with you. Put the quarter on the ground and sweep from about 6 inches above it. Listen carefully to the tone. A nice clean tone. When you get over big iron you will see some high 90's come in the window with high tone but it will be a different sounding tone=deeper and not as pleasant to listen to. When you get over one of these high 90's try and pinpoint it to judge the size, Also lifting the coil up say 5=6 inches while sweeping; if you still have the unpleasant tone is a clue that it's big iron. You can even try rotating around it while sweeping and if it starts breaking up is a clue as well. Sometimes you can just stick your shovel in near the supposed big iron and then resweep and your deus won't give tone anymore or a broken tone-definitely iron. Be patient the deus is worth the wait.

Great advice once again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions