An exciting find today, a seal matrix...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed to do 4 hunts this week, about 1.5 hours each. Was great to get out there and detect even though the weather was just above freezing. Here?s a picture of one of the fields I detected, the town in the background was founded in 793 AD.
normal_Gfield.jpg

After the third hunt and about 4.5 hours of detecting, these were the finds. The coins are an 1874 and a 1900. Upper right is part of a large porcelain button, a tin horseman, a few buttons, a bullet, a flange of sort and an Army unit crest from the 7th Infantry missing a cotton bail in the middle, I looked for it but didn?t find it.
normal_16Mar06finds.jpg

Today I called my wife who said we still have 10+? of snow and snowing more so I decided to detect after work for an hour before driving home. There is a big difference in climates from where I work to where I live. I didn?t think I had found much but was happy to get in a good hour before going home to the frozen tundra. This is a water meter cap 7.5 cm diameter, thought it was a beer stein cap.
normal_17Mar06mcap.jpg

Also found a musket ball, a button and a round metal slug, so I thought!
normal_17Mar06mball.jpg

When I cleaned up the finds, I found the metal slug had a thick crusty coating all over it so I used a toothpick to clean off the crust. It came off fairly easy but while cleaning it, I was confused and had no idea what it was but an image was coming out. When I got to the point that you see in the picture, I realized what it was and stopped cleaning, gave it a gentle brush off with a toothbrush and water, it?s a seal matrix, if you are not familiar with seal matrixes they are stamps that were pressed into wax to seal a letter or sign you name. Grabbed the magnifying glass and started marveling over it. I estimate 500 years on this one, hope I?m close. The seal shows a rampant lion to the left at the top of a bed of plumes with a shield or coat of arms at the bottom, it is mirrored and this is what the stamp would look like as a wax seal. It is 3.2 cm in diameter or close to an American 50 cent coin, a little large for a common seal matrix and closer to the size of a town?s seal matrix. I researched the town?s coat of arms, formed in 1662 and it?s nothing like this but it could be older than the present arms. I haven?t cleaned the reverse but it has a rough area in the middle where a dowel or stem would have been for a handle. There is a museum in the town I will visit soon and ask them if they know anything about the matrix. Maybe even donate it to the museum if they?re interested and hopefully gain respect, trust and new detecting areas. The town was founded in 793 AD but dates back to 3700 BC, they have the finds to prove it.
normal_17Mar06seal.jpg

I took this picture close to home of a train station, I think the Ice Age is back and it?s starting where I live, 10+? of snow on the fields and 6? piles of snow everywhere but I still had a good week of detecting. HH, Mike
normal_imtrain.jpg

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Unbelievable finds ! That seal is a find of a lifetime ! I can imagine how amazed you were when you cleaned it....Thank you for sharing the photos of the town also.....WTG

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mike...Those are some unbelievable find's,Glad to hear you're back in the swing of thing's.Wish I would've hunted when I was over there...Thank's for sharing your find's with us and keep us posted.HH!!

Jan 14, 2006
Marion, Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Prism III
Really neat finds. 500 yrs. is very exciting. Is that your oldest find? Keep those pictures coming, always great to see the English country side even if it has ten inches of snow.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ALWAYS look forward to your posts!!! Cause I know there's gonna be something awesome!!!!

WoW! Those ARE awesome finds! And the pictures are great too!!

Congrats on those finds!!!

Nana ;)

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
amazing finds mike, that seal matrix is one of my favorite finds that I've seen on tnet....hopefully you will find out who used it...good luck and congrats

HH

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great comments. Well, the seal is probably 200-300 years old, :'(, but going from what I thought was a round slug to seal matrix was awesome, I have been lucky enough to find 6 seal matrixes, they are my favorite finds. I'm American from Ohio and live in Bavaria Germany. Michael, my oldest finds that I know of are two Roman coins found in England, a bronze Barberous 150 AD and a copper Sestertius from 330 AD but very worn. HH, Mike

BOB VALDEZ

Jan 8, 2006
Impressive, Mike !

What a pity it is still so cold, isn't it ? Here in Belgium, it is just above zero + a very strond and cold wind.
How crazy are we to detect in this kind of weather, lol ?

Conclusion : detecting must really be GREAT FUN...

BOB VALDEZ

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very nice Mike, WTG!!!
The seal is awesome... If ya find any info on it, Please, keep us posted...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

treasures4me2find

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2005
Murphy, N.C.
Very cool finds Mike. And thanks for them really great pictures. Looks like you have a great spot to detect. Congrats on finding that seal matrixe, looks to be in great shape.

Ken

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go, Mike. That's a great find. I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into your posts....I always learn something. :)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff Mike as always! That seal is an awesome find!!I have not been detecting much, my hunting time is pretty hard to come by. Hope to make it out tomarrow.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I would be cautious in dealing with a museum. If they find that you have been out detecting the countryside will it cause a problem for you? Some couintries are really strange in how they deal with artifacts finds. Anyway, my father was there on the continent in the 1940s with the US ARMY and fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He said it was the worse winter they had in decades. Sounds like you are having the same kind of winter this year. Just an amusing anecdote. :D Excellent finds as always. Monty

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
200 to 300 years old is about as old as you can get here in the states! awesome find yet again mike! it must be a cool feeling knowing that the next thing you find could be 500+ years old. its a great seal. conrats!

S

southbound

Congrats Mike on the great finds. We will get togeather in a couple weeks and see if your luck is still holding.
I was out today and found a couple nasty coins. Vern :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread