An Idea that might work?

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I have given a lot of thought about the rules our wonderful governement have placed on "public land" in National Parks.

In Missouri you have to attend a two-day class and take a test before you can go hunting. Why not implement a similar program on the state and national level? Have people attend a class on what the rules are and why. Have them pass a test showing they know the rules, how to dig a proper plug so as not to destroy the property, etc and then give them a metal detecting license.

There are tons of items just sitting in the ground going to waste on land that belongs to you and me because some pencil pusher decided that we shouldn't be allowed to dig. And think about how much trash we detectorists would clean up from the parks at no charge to the Park service.

Just a thought? Anyone have any opinions on this??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
roswellborn said:
Uh, guys? I believe that "two day class" is for deer hunting (or turkey or whatever), not coin/relic/whatever hunting. Not MDing, anyway.

Yes I know that it is for hunting. I am was trying to make the point that if the Wonderful Government that we elect would allow us detectorists to prove we know how to recover targets without damaging the park grounds maybe they would allow us to hunt in them. The more I think about it the more upset I get. I see people trashing the place up, destroying park property but detectorists in this state can only hunt a small handful of parks and only on the beaches from 7AM-9AM. I wouldn't want to remove more than my share of pulltabs and twist off tops now. We provide a free and valuable service and keep people from being injured by removing potentially harmful objects and we are treated like second class citizens. Just hacks me off.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Hey Larry,
I'm going to agree with you here and say that they should open up these lands for metal detecting, either with a permit, paid or free, or a class......we do it to drive a car, and we pay for things like fishing and hunting licenses, so what is the big deal with paying for a MD'ing permit or taking an 8 hour course? Here in NYC, a permit is required to detect. It is free but not valid in all parks. As an example, the city's "Central Park" is not listed, so no hunting there. And what a shame, the place is old and the "Great Lawn" must be loaded with clad. That area would make for a 600 coin day easy. A friend who hunted it years ago told me he found some of his best coins there, walkers, SLQ, etc. I'd easily pay up $20 if they had a permit to get into that place. I'd get it back in 6 hours of cladding.

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Gibbsium said:
I see people trashing the place up, destroying park property but detectorists in this state can only hunt a small handful of parks and only on the beaches from 7AM-9AM.

Really? Not the people trashing and destroying (which sucks) The only 7am to 9am thing. For all of the parks and beaches in the state?

Actual wording on permit is: Detecting is permitted on beaches only in the allowed parks between the hours of 7 AM to 9AM Memorial Day through Labor day and then during daylight hours the rest of the year. Detecting is limited to beach areas only. Anything found that exceeds ten dollars in value must be turned in to the Ranger's station.

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
The funny thing is I ran into a scuba diver/detector who detects whenever he wants. He said to me they don't even know when I am here because I am under the water.

IF I could swim and dive that is the way to do it!!!

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
mastereagle22 said:
Gibbsium said:
I see people trashing the place up, destroying park property but detectorists in this state can only hunt a small handful of parks and only on the beaches from 7AM-9AM.

Really? Not the people trashing and destroying (which sucks) The only 7am to 9am thing. For all of the parks and beaches in the state?

Actual wording on permit is: Detecting is permitted on beaches only in the allowed parks between the hours of 7 AM to 9AM Memorial Day through Labor day and then during daylight hours the rest of the year. Detecting is limited to beach areas only. Anything found that exceeds ten dollars in value must be turned in to the Ranger's station.

Well, that just bites - for more than one reason, too. I haven't actually gotten the permit as yet, we haven't been camping - or anywhere else - that it would be necessary (so far).

"...exceeds ten dollars in value " good grief. Then again, with enough mud and dirt on it, even a diamond ring could look like fake (heheh). Geez.

HH
Nan
there's a reason they call it "misery" (bad pun, bad, bad!)

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
No I tell people all the time I live in Cape Garagedoor Misery

100 outside today with the heat index feels like 107!

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
mastereagle22 said:

It's sure been brutal lately. I had today off and made hubby take the car (the one vehicle with the working a/c) and he's a St Louie native.

I kinda like Cape G! Then too, I only have St L to compare it to, "Misery-wise"

stay cool,
Nan

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
roswellborn said:
mastereagle22 said:

It's sure been brutal lately. I had today off and made hubby take the car (the one vehicle with the working a/c) and he's a St Louie native.

stay cool,
Nan

Wow you actually know where Cape G is? And you have visited here? And you will admit it?? ;D ;D ;D

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Mastereagle....Cape Girardeau...birthplace on January 12, 1951 of the famous RUSH LIMBAUGH.....(one of my heroes)...Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....and, Cape Girardeau was also the birthplace of Missouri's Lt Gov Pete Kinder. One of my closest friends at my agency (NCIS) was born and raised in Cape Girardeau...and in fact grew up with Pete Kinder.

Let's see..other famous Missourians were: Martha Jane Canary (Calamity Jane) frontierswoman who was born in Princeton, MO...Jesse James was born in Centreville, Mo....and of course, Mark Twain who was born in Florida, MO.

--Mel

borninok

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
borninok said:
Mastereagle....Cape Girardeau...birthplace on January 12, 1951 of the famous RUSH LIMBAUGH.....(one of my heroes)...Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....and, Cape Girardeau was also the birthplace of Missouri's Lt Gov Pete Kinder. One of my closest friends at my agency (NCIS) was born and raised in Cape Girardeau...and in fact grew up with Pete Kinder.

Let's see..other famous Missourians were: Martha Jane Canary (Calamity Jane) frontierswoman who was born in Princeton, MO...Jesse James was born in Centreville, Mo....and of course, Mark Twain who was born in Florida, MO.

--Mel

borninok

I will not acknowledge or deny any knowledge of anyone named Rush Limbaugh. I can tell you my father-in-law was his highschool football coach and my father-in-law's name has been mentioned a time or two on the radio show. I can also tell you my step-father was retired Navy. And I love NCIS on TV. Also my dream as a kid was to be and FBI agent but I never made it. :( :(

I know Mr. Kinder in passing, not very well personally.

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
mastereagle22 said:
roswellborn said:
mastereagle22 said:

stay cool,
Nan

Wow you actually know where Cape G is? And you have visited here? And you will admit it?? ;D ;D ;D

LOL Yup. I even did some weaving at the RiverFest a couple of years in the 90s.

Oh, good grief, I just remembered - I had the Riverfest T-Shirt from one of those years - until it wore out, that is.

Good grief. The things this has brought back... lol

take it easy,
Nan

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
mrs.oroblanco said:
Sorry, I just have a problem with paying for a license to detect on "public" land that my tax money is paying for, where in half the places I have to pay a parking fee or an entrance fee to get in.

I'm not even sure when we "gave" it to the government - I thought they were just supposed to be taking care of "our" land.

B
[/quote

I agree 100%. But what options do we have short of asking everyone in Washington, politely to pack up and head home and put all new people in? Even that won't work. The people of this country have lost their ability to think, to care, and to act to preserve the freedoms we have enjoyed. Speaking to a 70 y/o detectorist yesterday he said when he started detecting 30 years ago it wasn't like this, he said you could go just about anywhere to detect. He also said that not a lot of young people today are detecting. I don't know about this but I do know that there are people out there who would love to ban detectors and all of us from doing what we love. Something has to be done and not just about detecting but what is it? Anyone have any ideas? That was the reason for my post to ask what everyone thinks? Any ideas that may work.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Licence the users, then licence each detector, then tax all finds, then ban detectors (And how do they know who has a detector, simple, each one is licenced )

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Part of the whole reason I started this topic was to get people thinking and it looks like that is what is happening. I am not advocating anarchy, but if we do not slam on the brakes this government we have is going to take over and there will be nothing we can do about it.

The arogance and egotism of the elected elite is sickening. I am an idealist and I believe that as long as we don't destroy the land we should be allowed to pursue our hobby the same way hikers, campers, ORVs and everyone else can on park lands. Detecting is far less damaging to the environment than almost any other activity that takes place on these lands.

When did we lose our backbones? When did we decide that the government knew how to think better than we do? What is wrong with this country?

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
It´s the same in any country nowaday´s, the elected elite have decided that they now best, and they are now becoming what people fought against for so long, totalitarian. We´ll all end up being controlled like the bad old commie states used to be (And still are). Sad but true.

B

BIG61AL

The government can't do anything that will make anything better. Bridges falling down, people trapped in airplanes for hours on the tarmac, terrorists just walking into the country, bloated budget, trillions in debt, gas prices sky high...I can go on and on. Once the government gets it teeth into metal detecting ..it'll be over and we'll all become outlaws.

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
BIG61AL said:
The government can't do anything that will make anything better. Bridges falling down, people trapped in airplanes for hours on the tarmac, terrorists just walking into the country, bloated budget, trillions in debt, gas prices sky high...I can go on and on. Once the government gets it teeth into metal detecting ..it'll be over and we'll all become outlaws.

Exactly my point. So what do you suggest is the solution?

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Have a nationwide campaign, where treasure hunters will vote against any representative that supports restrictive laws. With some of these tight run elections, the detectorist vote could make the swing, one way or the other.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread