An Observation

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
OK, I'm new to MD'ing, but I'm beginning to see certain patterns. For instance, when I get a hit on something that could be a dime or penny, it always seems that the coins that give the most trouble (much more digging, harder to see and separate from grass, and elusive from the pinpointer) usually turn out to be pennies. The dimes seem to just about jump out at me; I lift a flap and there it is. Sure, a dime is sometimes easier to see, but not always; and they're a little smaller.
If I spend more than 30 seconds digging I just know it's some lousy penny (meaning no wheats or Indian heads). Am I the only one who has seen this?

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i noticed that too, but here where i am the pennies blend in more with the dirt and clay, the dimes and quarters usually shine in contrast to the dirt

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
You're working cherry picked ground or something akin to it. Lots of detectorists can discriminate one cent coins out and lots do. Your reward will come when you get that cent dug and then recheck the spot and find a deeper, better signal and it leads to an overlooked winner!

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe it has something to do with the different properties of the metals...silver and copper.

Maybe dirt sticks to copper or zinc better than silver.....kinda makes sense to me???

Al

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The penny blends in better with the soil here also. Plus there are other detectist out there what will not dig a penny. As I dig everything. Plus remember to double check your hole after you get that penny out and there is some time something else in the hole and you could 2 or 3 coins from one hole. Keep smiling and happy hunting...Matt

OP
OP
J

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
Yes, I learned straight away to scan again (and from different angles) the hole I just dug. I seems like parents are letting their kids play with coins, because I've found several within just a few inches of each other. I usually go to grassy areas of the local parks; coins seem to be almost anywhere but trees will have the most trash. If there is a fast-food joint nearby it's best to find the most populated area of the park and draw a straight line between them--that's where the coins will be.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the future, you may find that, if you have a different detector than the one you are using now, it may change.

My garrett sounds off nothing like my White's, which sounds off nothing like my Tesoro.

I believe each detector has its own little quirks.

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread