An Old Cache

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Well here it is.
After a lot of pressure from lots of folks who asked about the photo in my avatar.
I found this in 91 or 92.

This is a cache I found while working around the back side of the original homestead house on our property here.
It isn't anywhere near as old as the house,
but it is in a direct line of sight from where the main Kitchen window was in the second farm house built in 1901.

This fruit jar had coins that date from 1916 to 1942
Also a couple seated halves, 1843 and 1858.

The rest were all SLQs, Washingtons, Walkers and LOTS of Mercury Dimes.
There were only 5 Barbers in the group.

Attachments

• old fruit jar cache 003.jpg
    old fruit jar cache 003.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 16,586
Upvote 1

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea what the history of the cache might be?

When I was a kid in the 50's, this kind of assortment would be a standard sample of coins. My grandparents ran a business and I'd constantly search through the cash drawers for Indians and barbers and V nickels. Lots of them then.

Was there a hint of marital troubles; why the cache outside the kitchen window? Caching is a male activity, but in this case it could be "egg money" squirreled away for a possible getaway. Someone probably died or had a stroke so they forgot it.

There's a story here that can probably get put together.

Nice find, and reward for digging a water line. Uggh.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Other than some of the history we have on the place itself I have no history at all on the caches.
Sorry.
I think this one may have been a bit more than butter and egg money though.
The halves are in rows of full rolls as are the quarters.
The halves are mostly all walkers except for a couple really worn seateds and two very used looking barbers.
The quarters are SLQs except for part of a roll of washingtons.
the dimes are just piled they are all Mercs

Thom

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work! An old jar of coins has got to be one of the ultimate finds in treasure hunting!

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Dan,
I'm a little late in doing so .... but Welcome to T-Net.
I do hope you find one of these.

It is a sweet dream, isn't it?
especially when you know it is possible.

Thom

Collymore

Nov 11, 2008
Its great stories like this one that makes it a bummer to live in an apartment :D

In my country some old dude hid 200.000$ in old cans all over his property, guess he wasnt much for modern banks.

CoinFinder52

Oct 5, 2008
it's crazy that you could find all those silver coin's! There worth some $$$$$$$
I wish i found that
It's hard enough to find a silver coin :o

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a nice cache...I have a Gemini III 2-box detector, never really used it much...there is a limit to how deep they can go on a Mason jar cache. I'm thinking it is at least 2 feet, depends if you have level ground to add a strap handle, for tuning it near the ground...then maybe 3-4 feet deep. Haven't looked at my cache hunting book for Gemini III in a while.

Didn't get a treasure hunting vacation out to the Southwest this fall...like I thought, but you know...election going on. Gas prices are sure down, except the weather is cold and days too short. :coffee2:

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Hey Red,
Good to see you.
Just a small hint, If you are interested in a short jaunt out in the "Southwest".

Now is the best time.
Lots of cool weather,
a lot less heat and all in all much nicer to cavort in the desert than in July or August,
still need to treat it like a desert, as all the regular conditions are still there just not as intense. LOL
come on out and we will see what we can scare up.
I know of a couple hundred plus year old abandoned homesteads you could detect,
Nobody has done them yet.

Drop me an email.
Thom

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
Why can't I ever find something like that working on my house, Whats the total face value in coins?

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Jimmy,

The face value is in the neighborhood of $175.
give or take.

It would be kin of hard to say since I just rolled up the coins and never took an actual inventory.
There is about a roll of the Quarters missing as they went into an album for SLQs.
And some of the dimes went the same way.

Thom

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog said:
Steve,

Here is a picture of that old homestead house.
The stork is our protest to the historical society.
(they won't let us tear it down)
Maybe next year we will paint it pink or something
Thom
I am very surprised to read that you would EVER consider tearing it down. America has so very few buildings left in its short history, I would agree 10000% with the historical society that it should NEVER be torn down. Sorry but I don't agree at all with your protest, I guess because the house was not from your ancestors...

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
woody50 said:
Old Dog said:
Steve,

Thom

I am very surprised to read that you would EVER consider tearing it down. America has so very few buildings left in its short history, I would agree 10000% with the historical society that it should NEVER be torn down. Sorry but I don't agree at all with your protest, I guess because the house was not from your ancestors...

When the preservation society, the US government and all the other busybodys start paying the frieght they can have a say in what goes on. When I own a piece of property i will do with it what benefits me. If folks don't like it they can pay me a fair price for my property. Unfunded mandates force people to quietly destroy what should be preserved. Do you think that native remains are only found in the middle of the desert by college professors and students? Developers have been bankrupted by doing the "right" thing. If the authorities would do the "right" thing - excavate and remove the relics over a weekend or a week and get out of the way without costing the landowner a fortune - then people would be willing to help them. I would never destroy native remains but I damn sure would hide them so that they didn't cost me money or cause me problems. Forcing someone to keep a building standing that can not be repaired and then charging extra taxes for the building being there is a dandy way to get compliance don't you think? Makes you feel warm and fuzzy all over to be raped so that someone else can enjoy the scenery. Did you ever stop and say thank you or offer a cash donation to help pay the extra taxes for that building you like to see? I didn't think so. siegfried schlagrule

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
woody50 said:
Old Dog said:
Steve,
Thom

When the preservation society, the US government and all the other busybodys start paying the frieght they can have a say in what goes on. When I own a piece of property i will do with it what benefits me. If folks don't like it they can pay me a fair price for my property. Unfunded mandates force people to quietly destroy what should be preserved. Do you think that native remains are only found in the middle of the desert by college professors and students? Developers have been bankrupted by doing the "right" thing. If the authorities would do the "right" thing - excavate and remove the relics over a weekend or a week and get out of the way without costing the landowner a fortune - then people would be willing to help them. I would never destroy native remains but I damn sure would hide them so that they didn't cost me money or cause me problems. Forcing someone to keep a building standing that can not be repaired and then charging extra taxes for the building being there is a dandy way to get compliance don't you think? Makes you feel warm and fuzzy all over to be raped so that someone else can enjoy the scenery. Did you ever stop and say thank you or offer a cash donation to help pay the extra taxes for that building you like to see? I didn't think so. siegfried schlagrule
I guess you see your way and I see mine, I enjoy old buildings much much more than the 'plastic plaster' stuff they build nowadays. But of course this discussion is in the wrong place on this forum, if you want to continue there are other places here for chit-chat.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Woody,

This is an old stick built structure of the kind you see leaning and falling down
all over the country.
To preserve it serves absolutely no purpose except to be an eyesore,
and it gives some self important "hugger" types the ability to dictate to a property owner what he can and can't do with a piece of property.
They are not offering to keep the building in any shape at all,
and they have no intention of letting me upgrade the thing to a standard that will allow it to be used.

The cellar isn't even useable as the watertable is high enough to flood the thing a couple times a year.
The best thing I could think to do is insure it for a couple dollars and just let my Grandson play with the bulldozer keys.

Thom

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog said:
Woody,

This is an old stick built structure of the kind you see leaning and falling down
all over the country.
and it gives some self important "hugger" types the ability to dictate to a property owner what he can and can't do with a piece of property.
and they have no intention of letting me upgrade the thing to a standard that will allow it to be used.

The cellar isn't even useable as the watertable is high enough to flood the thing a couple times a year.
The best thing I could think to do is insure it for a couple dollars and just let my Grandson play with the bulldozer keys.
Thom
OK Thom, thanks for you explanation. Maybe you best bet is the last...

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Old Dog said:
Woody,

all over the country.

Thom

I bet he'd have fun! :D :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
He has been watching his Dad,
and can climb that Cat like it is nothing.
We have taken measures to hide the keys.
(We used to just leave them) LOL

Hmmmm....
I wonder

LOL
Thom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread