Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night I went back to the beach where i found the gold ring the other day and managed to find about $5 in clad a silver ring and a cameo which may be jade and is in really great shape for bouncing around the ocean surf But im not sure of the metal im thinking it might be Pewter due to its weight and im not sure if platinum tarnishes like this any input would be awesome thanks for looking
kent

Attachments

• cameo 001.JPG
    cameo 001.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 166
  • cameo 002.JPG
    cameo 002.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 147
  • cameo 003.JPG
    cameo 003.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 147
  • cameo 004.JPG
    cameo 004.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that ,is awesome.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plymouth, Hopefully I can answer your questions. Your cameo brooch is from the late Victoria period, probably 1880s-1900s or either a reproduction of a late Victorian cameo. It's hard to tell without seeing it in person. Real cameos are carved from different things: shell, agate, jet, ivory, and mother of pearl. Fake ones are made of resin, plastic, and glass. Agate comes in green, so yours could be real, but resin also comes in green, so it could be fake. Older cameos are generally set in gold,(or gold-filed) brass, pinchbeck, silver or silver vermeil.

Here are some tips to determine if it is a real cameo or not: Real cameos have a matte finish; they are not shiny. The backs of real ones are curved, not flat. Of course you can't see the back of yours. Real cameos are thin and have polished sides. If held up to a light, you will be able to see light through a real cameo. A real cameo when touched to your lips will feel cold; plastic will feel warmer. Older real cameos are generally set
in gold, (or gold-filed) brass, pinchbeck, silver or silver vermeil.

Yours is 'relief,' which means the surrounding material was cut away; therefore, the image is raised. It's a neat find whether it's the real deal or not. Since yours has a solid back, you can't see whether it is light permeable, nor can you see if the edges are polished. I would recommend taking to a jeweler and getting his opinion.

:) Breezie

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly a nice find, see less of them than George Washinton buttons posted.

One has been on my top ten list.

I certainly wouldn't think platinum, Breezie seems to have a handle on them, but again nice find, one I'd be happy with.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's very pretty and I hope Breezie's knowledge can help you determine if its an old cameo or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread