Found an Interesting Sign in the Woods...

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out to a few foundation sites yesterday. Nothing notable, but I found this sign right behind one of them, in an area that was likely a bottle dump/trash pit (lots of broken glass and bottles). I thought it was just junk at first until I pulled out a piece with lettering. I decided to be a bit more gentle excavating the rest but it came out pretty mangled.

Seems to read : Mutual Fire (A Stock Corporation)..Chartered 1869... New York (you can see ".EW YO.." on the bottom). I'm missing a few pieces and I hope to get back and find them sometime soon. I have no hope of putting it back together but I think it's pretty neat!

Can't find any info online about the sign itself online, making me think it might be valuable if it were in decent condition. All I came up with were some google books results about the company itself.

Attachments

• 20130312_163705 (1).jpg
    20130312_163705 (1).jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Upvote 1

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is most likely a sign which would have been posted on the front of the house. Before homeowner's insurance, you had to buy yearly fire insurance from your local fire company or they wouldn't try to save your house and belongings. Eventually those local companies started joining together into national companies, and this is probably one of those signs.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before homeowner's insurance, you had to buy yearly fire insurance from your local fire company or they wouldn't try to save your house and belongings. Eventually those local companies started joining together into national companies, and this is probably one of those signs.

Whoa, that's crazy.
Almost like a form of extortion, but I can kind of see the concept.
Why risk your life and spend your time on someone that doesn't pay your salary or for equipment?

I do remember reading that at one time NYC had a few hundred private fire companies that would sometimes show up and end up fighting each other over the fire.
they were basically social clubs and some turned into or were actual gangs.

This is one of the FEW areas that I feel government control has been beneficial. (fire and emergency services)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa, that's crazy.
Almost like a form of extortion, but I can kind of see the concept.
Why risk your life and spend your time on someone that doesn't pay your salary or for equipment?

I do remember reading that at one time NYC had a few hundred private fire companies that would sometimes show up and end up fighting each other over the fire.

This is one of the FEW areas that I feel government control has been beneficial. (fire and emergency services)

There are still private fire companies which require yearly subscriptions, but there are very few left. There was a news story last year here in OK where a house was allowed to burn down because they hadn't renewed their membership. They showed up to provide first aide life saving if anyone was injured, but they wouldn't put out the fire. Seems kinda harsh, but it's a rural area and all the residents knew the rules.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are still private fire companies which require yearly subscriptions, but there are very few left. There was a news story last year here in OK where a house was allowed to burn down because they hadn't renewed their membership. They showed up to provide first aide life saving if anyone was injured, but they wouldn't put out the fire. Seems kinda harsh, but it's a rural area and all the residents knew the rules.

I can see where they are coming from.
Why risk your lives putting out a fire if you don't have to?
The lifesaving is a given, but if not...it is just a structure and not worth lives.

That's what a lot of these movies and TV shows fail to convey.
You will NEVER, EVER see firefighters risking lives or injury to put out a fire. (unless it spreading can put other people in danger.)
My neighbor is a firefighter and he used a phrase a while back. "If there ain't nobody in it, surround and drown."

donb0078

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
atm, whites sl II classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! shame greed creeped its way in :((

OP
OP
grasshopper

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in Enid said:
This is most likely a sign which would have been posted on the front of the house. Before homeowner's insurance, you had to buy yearly fire insurance from your local fire company or they wouldn't try to save your house and belongings. Eventually those local companies started joining together into national companies, and this is probably one of those signs.

Interesting...thanks for the help!

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other

Gangs of New York. An excellent movie!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool recovery and great history there. And it does not looked burned either. That is good. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread