An Old Inn Site & Well

Sylth

Apr 11, 2008
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
White's M6 w/ Sunray Probe & a Bounty Hunter Lone Star
An Old Inn Site & Well

After months of research, I finally nailed down the location of an Inn that burned down in 1926, and was known to have existed before 1800; rather, the oldest record was around that time and no record I could find has the date when it was built. Any-who, when I scouted the site, I found the entire area is covered in ankle-deep ground-cover, with brick and foundation stones scattered around. Also, I found to my surprise that the Inn's well is completely intact; it's about 2' wide and about 25' deep, with the top level with the ground. Does anyone know to go about searching the site? I've only been detecting for half a year, and to be honest I don't really know where to begin on a project this big; the area the inn covered is huge. Also, does anyone have any idea how to go about searching a well? Would it be a good place to look/worth the trouble? Given the width and depth of the hole, it'd be a pain but I can only imagine what people might've dropped down it and given up for lost.

Thx in advance ^^

-Figured out how to resize them correctly =) -

Attachments

• Site - 1.jpg
    Site - 1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,228
  • Well-11.jpg
    Well-11.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,224
  • Well - 111.jpg
    Well - 111.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,215

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: An Old Inn Site & Well

Welcome to tnet...WOW what a killer site you have there... will watch to see what other goodies ya find..

best of luck

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005

""Also, I found to my surprise that the Inn's well is completely intact; it's about 2' wide and about 25', with the top level with the ground.""

I am not sure how far off the beaten path your site is, but I would for safety sake get some kind of cover for that well, or something, anything to keep those unawares from falling down it. Since you say it's top is "level with the ground" it could be even something you could fall into in a moment of inattention. :wink: Safety first, and lots of treasure later. :wink:

OP
OP
Sylth

Sylth

Apr 11, 2008
Northern VA
Detector(s) used

Yeah, that would be a good idea; its only about 30' from the road, and there are houses fairly close by. Probably be taking some wood next time I head over to cover it up with.

OP
OP
Sylth

Sylth

Apr 11, 2008
Northern VA
Detector(s) used

Went back today with the intent of clearing as much as I could. While it took forever, there were plenty of promising things; seemed almost every time I would pull up ground cover, bits of bottles and pottery would fall or be uncovered :) After two hours, I'd amassed a large amount of broken bits, cleared a decent area to detect, found my first square nails using my detector, and picked up 8 ticks at last count. No coins yet, or readily identifiable relics, but I have hope ;D Here's a shot of today's finds:

Attachments

• Finds - 1.jpg
    Finds - 1.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 1,159
OP
OP
Sylth

Sylth

Apr 11, 2008
Northern VA
Detector(s) used

Went back a second time, and found a ton more stuff; nothing valuable, but I still have hope :)

Unfortunently, I'm still picking ticks off me after 6 days back, and I saw my second snake that day (keep in mind, the entire area is covered in stones, wood, and ankle-deep ground cover) So I decided to hold off on clearing any more of the site till next fall/winter. Bummer, but the presence of snakes is bad, the ticks are worse, and both will just get more troublesome as summer progresses.

'Course, by next fall/winter, hopefully the ground cover will be gone, it'll be cooler so i'll be able to work longer on the site, and, best of all, Ill be able to move forward with my plan on mucking out that well to see what people might have dropped down it ;D

Anyway, here's the pic of the last load found at the site; if things keep going like this when i go back, ill soon have enough square nails to build a house with em

Attachments

• Finds - 2.jpg
    Finds - 2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,090

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70

Great site, can't wait to see what you find next....looks like it is gonna give up a ton of relics!
HH
Baggins

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keep up your determination you will eventually find some good stuff. Be safe.

Burdie

SC_Fisher

Greenie
Nov 30, 2009

No kidding about that well...the way that grass nearly covers it over - very dangerous. Would be great if you knew someone to weld up a rebar grating that could be staked over it.

Other than that, must be interesting exploring it.

Regards,

SC_Fisher

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread