Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update - Thanks for all the great comments, it really was an awesome day and helping someone out gave me a priceless feel good! Here is a link to the old copper coin, it is a 1791 French Jeton depicting Louis VXI and Diane the huntress. HH, Mike
http://www.napoleonicmedals.org/coins/h274.htm
The day started out great, I was headed for a partially drained swim lake I had already detected but, I wanted to detect the deeper areas that should have been 2-3’ deep in water now that it is partially drained and a last chance at gold and silver rings before it gets too cold. The morning was very foggy and arriving at the lake, it was eerie looking and I have to say, I liked it! Was a 30 minute drive. I had my waders, sand scoop and a floating Styrofoam table with and carried all this to the lake that can’t be seen from the parking lot. As I uncomfortably carried my gear to the lake, I was shocked to see the lake had been refilled with water again and no chance of going through with my plan. I was bummed out but, went with plan B and hit one of my greater producing fields just two minutes from the house, 30 minutes drive back home. Had a nice hunt there for about 1.5 hours, finding a few early 1900s coins and a nice old copper coin that I can not ID. I was out of time and was heading back to the car when a farmer stopped by in a beat up car, he was dressed in his church clothes that also looked beat up. He was determined to ask some questions as he stepped into the fresh plowed field with his Sunday go to meeting clothes and I headed him off and said step back out of the field, I’ll come to you. I walked over to him and said hello. He explained to me he had lost a major tractor part in early spring and wanted to know if I could find it. Replacing it costs $500.00, a precision drive shaft for the front transmission of his tractor. Told him I would meet him after lunch and he gave me his address. Met him at the agreed time at his farm and he showed me the field and told me where he noticed the shaft was missing, front wheels weren’t turning when he needed the pull. The agreement was I get to keep the coins and relics I find and no charge for me hunting for the lost shaft. I told him not to wait around on me and to go home and relax, I would be in touch either way to let him know what I find. About 30 minutes into the hunt, I found an elongated target and knew what it was. I dug up his drive shaft, I was so happy to have found it as he is a poor farmer, his wife gets around on a cane and he still manages to keep a nice clean barn of dairy cows, I saw it. I lugged this 30 pound shaft detecting back to the car. Took this picture and called the farmer with my cell phone and told him the good news and he came right out to the field. He picked it up and was very happy to have it, I now have full permission to detect his lands, the whole hill top is his, a nice area I think and there was an old Chapel on his land, marked with a cross. Also found an old ox cart lane but, can’t explain it all, it was a great day! Here is a picture of the $500.00 shaft, about 4’ long, a huge target.
22Oct06.jpg

Two lead seals and a musket ball.
22Oct06lead.jpg

The relics. Part of a buckle, a small piece of metal that says 70th Catholic ? in Nuernberg. A small button and a modern aluminum seal.
22Oct06relics.jpg

The coins. Oldest is an 1800 middle right.
22Oct06coinsO.jpg

Obverse of the old copper that I can not ID, help anyone?
22Oct06copO.jpg

Reverse of the old copper.
22Oct06copR.jpg

My reward for finding the drive shaft, cheese from where my family name comes from near the Lorelei on the Rhine river, his daughter lives there. I am of German decent and my family name comes from this town that is above this part of the Rhine river, a lot of history there. He tried to give me 20 Euros, wouldn’t take no for an answer so I said give me 5 Euros for gas, the cheese and permission to detect his fields was enough. HH, Mike
22Oct06cheese.jpg

Upvote 0

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
I salute you for helping out that farm family. I am glad also that you had no problem at all finding the driveshaft.

I really have not gotten a chance to help someone out finding something for them metal detecting yet, but I certainly look forward to it. I love helping people out and the great feeling for that is certainly a reward that no price can be put upon.

Great Job. You are a class act all the way.

Postalrevnant

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope you have a great future there!

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
Mike I'm jealous, Besides the incredible finds, the stories are just as good. I have to get over to germany. I've always wanted to drive on the autobahn now however i think md'ing might be more important no not as important as the great beer but important as always congrats and hh

Dylan

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Mike!!!! That cheese is looking pretty good right now, I would take it to!!! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread