Ancient tool?

Rean.c

Dec 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this while I was fossil hunting, completely different then the other rocks around. And fits in your hand better then a blackberry lol. IMG_1260.JPG IMG_1260.JPG IMG_1260.JPG IMG_1260.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think not.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
what do you see it being used for? ancient tools have modern counterparts....hammers, knives, pestles, awls, celts, chisels, etc....what is the function of the thing you found?...that is a good way to start.

OP
OP
R

Rean.c

Dec 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It fits so good in ones hand maybe a tool for striking flint. Or put it threw a stick and it could very well be a club. The point is fairly predominant witch leads me to believe it was made that way.

OP
OP
R

Rean.c

Dec 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1274.JPG

OP
OP
R

Rean.c

Dec 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1274.JPG

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stone.jpg

I'm guessing if it was used as a hammer or axe or tomahawk or whatever it would probably have the grooves carved into it to support mounting the shaft to the head.

While it's not impossible that that was a hand tool or some mortar and pestle type of an object, realistically without any markings on it to indicate where and who it came from it has no value. It's more likely just a random chunk of rock that chipped off of another rock in that shape and then was tumbled by the river.

HOWEVER

Given it's similar characteristics to other ancient stone tools, we might be able to put an argument that had a stone age individual found the rock that you're holding, they might have used it to make a tool. They probably looked for rocks with similar characteristics as a starting point for making stone tools in the past. But that's just a hypothesis.

OP
OP
R

Rean.c

Dec 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks goldfleks, appreciate your time and like your hypothesis. And I noticed there was a weird groove the rock I've found. I'll give you close ups on it , couldn't care less on value I love to find and collect things [emoji4]

OP
OP
R

Rean.c

Dec 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1274.JPG

OP
OP
R

Rean.c

Dec 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1274.JPG

OP
OP
R

Rean.c

Dec 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And it's weird but when I take picture and it does zero justice lol

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your next step would be to probably research the history of your area and what types of humans lived there. If you're in an area known for stone age human settlements the chances of that being a stone tool increase ;)

OP
OP
R

Rean.c

Dec 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good idea for sure, thanks for the help

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be used as a polisher?

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also just FYI... Kinda ironic as I just watched a Netflix documentary on early humans last night. The current active working theory on the human ancestors that settled North America is based around the Clovis people.

If you do a search of Clovis tools, they all come up looking like this:

clovis.jpg

Again, not that what you're holding isn't a possible stone tool. But it's probably not a weapon as the Clovis people were already using edged tools by the time they came to the Americas. And they are considered the orignal settlers of North/South America if I understand the documentary correctly.

The problem with stoneage tools that don't have obvious indications of human interaction is that how do you tell them apart from a rock. The answer? You can't. I'm sure plenty of rocks have been used by ancient and modern people to hammer something into the ground for instance. So technically, every rock you find, "could" have been a stone tool.

You can check out this guy:

https://youtu.be/Fe-uaWRIiPM

He would probably agree with you that what you're holding is a primitive stone tool.

But that line of thinking is about as good as this one as it pertains to proving god exists:

https://youtu.be/2z-OLG0KyR4

So in the end, maybe you have a tool, maybe you have just a random rock. Either way it's a pretty cool looking rock.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think you may have a club.they used them to knock heads,animals they shot with their points,or enemies.i have one like yours i will show ya but others would probally call it a rock.look at the indentations on them about the same are they not,i think they did it to haft club 001.JPG club 002.JPG club 003.JPG club 004.JPG club 005.JPG club 006.JPG it

OP
OP
R

Rean.c

Dec 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jamey, I think our rocks look a lot alike! They are chipped in the same places. Even the back end. Possibly broken tools? IMG_1274.JPG

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no they are whole,just missing the handles.mine is heavy for it size too,yours too?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rean.c

Dec 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohyea for sure, that's another reason why I thought it was something. Fairly heavy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread