And from out of the Earth two more eagles arose

GKman

Mar 15, 2011
Dutchess County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tonight's adventure involved advanced backwoods driving, jogging, sweating, climbing and recovering some long lost history. I was out of work at five this evening and so I was short on time before dark. However, I was feeling lucky and decided to go back to the hard to reach foundation that CTTodd and I had detected a couple of weeks ago. This foundation is where I discovered the 1830-1840 Pre-Civil War Militia sword belt plate which I posted previously.
In order to save time I jogged for the first three quarters of a mile or so through the woods. However, the easy going on this trail doesn't last forever when you have to cross a swamp by balancing on a log, and then climb up the side of a steep mountain. At this point you are pretty tired but feel good know that the most strenous part of the hike is over. I walked another ten minutes and arrived at the the cellar hole and started unpacking and getting the detector together and a quick reapplication of bug spray. Wouldn't you know it the bug spray wouldn't spray! When I pressed the button it would make a short hiss and then nothing. I took the top off and used my nail to spray myself. However it was coming out much faster and thicker than it normally would and went all over my face. I quickly found out that spraying too much Deep Woods off into your face makes your lips go numb... Who knew!
I started off where I finished detecting the last time I was there and quickly recovered three nice flat buttons. I worked my way along the front of the foundation and got a decent signal which ended up being the nice eagle infantry two piece button. Things quieted down for a bit but Then I found the mysterious eagle stamped (buckle ?) item. I am thinking it is a New York military based on the shape of the eagle, hopefully someone out there can enlighten me what it is. I know I have not dug an item like this (ever).
I think finding one Eagle item of any type at a foundation is great. Finding three across two trips is awesome.
A bit later I got a great signal which I was hoping was going to be a coin, but ended up being a buckle. Still a nice find but it is always exciting to have a coin in your hand that has a date on it. Finally I found a suspender clasp with flower design which is really nice..
It started getting dark a lot quicker than I would have liked, but what are you going to do. I packed it in and headed back out. Someday soon I will make it back to the Eagle foundation to see what other exciting bits of history it is going to give up.
Thanks for looking
HH
Gary

Attachments

• 1439809650776.jpg
    1439809650776.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 1439809667057.jpg
    1439809667057.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 1439809681109.jpg
    1439809681109.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 1439809701281.jpg
    1439809701281.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 180
Upvote 14

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Gary, , Nice assortment of finds.
Sorry to hear about the bug spray problems. I always spray it on my hands and then apply it to my face. I haven't been to Dutchess county for a hunt in quite some time. That cellar hole sounds like a couple of full day hunts. Good luck buddy.

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Saves!!!! Congrats on the buckle....

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds there! The crushed tongue has the same image as the New York National Guard buttons. Since you live in New York, I think it's safe to say that is from a two piece New York National Guard buckle. Whether it post or pre civil war is hard to say. I like the oval sash buckle tongue and the eagle I as well.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice buttons and buckles.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG NICE RELICS THERE GK THE BUCKLE IS COOL LOOKING AND THE LAST PIC CANT MAKE OUT WHAT IT IS .

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
met you last year at Forsyth park in Kingston, and yes it is still giving up Buffs, "V"'s and silver. we have some nice stuff in the Cuomo Valley. love the "I" button, sold mine months ago along with the GS coat and cuff buttons. now go get some British coppers. HH Rich

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relic saves!

Your a determined MD'er!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful Eagle I and the tongue is really nice. Good luck on IDing the other thing. Sounds like you have a great spot!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome eagle I !!, the other buttons are great finds as well, great hunt!

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice finds! that eagle button is in great condition. I would definitely be happy with that one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions