And They say one little spark can cause a forest fire!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had walked around to the back to where a friend was trying to get a fire going for a family get together. His face was red ad he was sweating profusely as I approached. His wife had told me that he had been trying to get a fire going for half an hour or longer. Jim had paused for a minute as he turned to see who was there. I could see all of the stuff that he had already burned, used match sticks everywhere yet no fire. Jim growled as he told me "Yeah and they say how one little spark can cause a forest fire!"

I smiled as I looked at what he had stacked up and then told him that I would help him. I gathered a bunch of small sticks and after crumbling a piece of news paper, carefully placed the sticks on top. Then I gathered some slightly bigger dry stuff and then more and more until I had a nice little pile. Then I took one match and lit the newspaper before going after some more bigger stuff. Jim watched as the flames got bigger and bigger and then I began placing the huge pieces that he had around it. Jim had now a big glass of ice tea and was sitting as I slowly added the wood.

Now Jim just didn't have any experience with fires like I had, as the one assigned to "burn the trash," as a kid, I had tons of experience. I was also a volunteer fire fighter and also dealt with putting them out. Jim smiled as he told me that he had been banned by the wife to using anything like gas for starting the fires. Of course he had some scars to show why. Normally I keep rich pine shavings in a zip lock bag in the truck just for starting fires but the biggest thing is to had a decent supply to feed the fire already ready and waiting. As a kid, I always had a Prince Albert tobacco tin or two that had matches, shavings, hooks, sinkers as well as 22 shells (the bare essentials). Those were the days of simpler times for sure.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It always amazes me how many people can not start a fire. I grew up in the country even and some people still have no idea.

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
I was pretty good with Scout craft like fires, axes, and such back in the day. A while back I was at an outdoor event where we needed a small bon fire. A very prim, proper looking business woman type whom I had not met (both of us closer to retirement age) was constructing a one match fire start. One match and we had fire. I would have been embarrassed severely if it were a competition. Could tell watching her she knew exactly what she was doing... I was impressed. Said she did time in the campfire girls back in the day. Really do like fun surprises like that...

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Fire starting should be taught to all so as not to lose the art of a very necessary skill. I feel everyone should spend the time needed to acquire rudimentary survival skills. We may need them one day.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice story dirtlooter. If I ever got lost in the woods, I'd want you with me.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fire starting should be taught to all so as not to lose the art of a very necessary skill. I feel everyone should spend the time needed to acquire rudimentary survival skills. We may need them one day.

Yes I agree, fire is essential to survival in certain situations. I can pretty much make a fire with about anything. Taught my self a fire bow and everything, though I admit I still need practice with the rubbing two sticks together thing. But one match for one fire is no problem, even shivering cold. Once I fell into icy cold waters in Montana during the spring run off(only 40 degree weather but it doesn't matter when you are soaking wet)...... literally saved my life knowing how to start a fire. I'm 5'11'' and weigh 160 sopping wet, so it was build a fire or my skinny butt was getting hypothermia trying to make it a few miles back to the car.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions