smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My long time buddy Junior is building a house and I'm helping him with that as he did when I built mine almost 30 years ago. He and his girlfriend had decided to get married after a long time together. He made two requests of me. First to be his best man and second to fabricate their wedding bands. They had one 64 Washington quarter and I provided a 38 from my collection. I couldn't think of anything better for something I've found. The big day was today and everything went well. They loved the rings!

Attachments

• 102_0470.JPG
    102_0470.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 75

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were they fabricated by hammering the edge , and eventually cutting out the center ? or did you melt the quarters and forge them ?

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were they fabricated by hammering the edge , and eventually cutting out the center ? or did you melt the quarters and forge them ?

I cut the centers first then tapped them into shape by hammering the edges and bucking up the insides. Thanks for checking!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good job. Great story

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made one that I wear all the time - from a Kennedy half dollar (1964) I hammered the edge first for 3 or 4 hours - leaving the center intact to support the piece as I hammered the edge . Lastly I scribed a circle just a smidge smaller than my ring size onto the coin, drilled a small hole to accommodate the piercing saw blade - cut out the center with the jeweler's saw - then filed to fit ! I wear it always so as to be in touch with (literally) the precious metal coinage of this country .

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool rings and very cool that you were able to make this very special day even more special :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks guys! I enjoyed doing it. I love personalized objects. We probably don't see it as much today but I always value an item more if it was made by a friend. People either don't have or don't take the time much anymore when so many choices are available to just go out and buy something for a gift. I met my buddy in 88 and he volunteered to help me build when I built this log cabin I live in. He was unemployed at the time and spent most of the days I was building right out here building with me. He got to hang out, had plenty to eat and friends around constantly. We got to be pretty tight. At the time, money was short and when we finished this place I always felt like I hadn't given him enough for all the labor. Been waiting quite a while but when he got the chance to build for himself, I've been there every day. We started his house in April and we're about 2 months away from finish on that. I've been hoping to live long enough to see it thru!

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man! I have had the pleasure to detect with a genuine jewelry fabricator and didn't even know it? Buddy, those rings are very nice!
What can you make out of that 1886 Canadian 5 cents piece with the hole through the queens face?

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man! I have had the pleasure to detect with a genuine jewelry fabricator and didn't even know it? Buddy, those rings are very nice!
What can you make out of that 1886 Canadian 5 cents piece with the hole through the queens face?

Might have enough for a baby ring. It's pretty small! Think I'll keep it the way it is though. Maybe if we find the cache or a good spill out there, I can turn it into something else, but right now the old holey thing is kinda special to me!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I call a good friend I also helped a friend with his house this summer that's cool. You make doing that ring sound easy lol I have a Morgan silver dollar I wanted to do that to it's the first and only one I've ever found. You did a great job. Tommy

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had a coin ring made out of a Franklin Half, that was my birth year. I wear it every day, but more had it made so I can pass it on to my first Grandson who just turned 1 year old a few weeks ago. I'm sure your friends will treasure their rings forever. Nice of you to take the time and make them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread