And yet again, I tortured myself...100lbs

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I have been out in the woods every evening after work this past week. These are my heaviest finds. The log chain weighs 46 lbs and 11 feet long.. It is not my longest but is my heaviest chain so far. When I hauled it out of the woods it was 70 lbs as it was packed with wet dirt. The pulley is from a Barnhart log loader. There was three of these pulleys on the front of the loader and a chain was wrapped around to move the cab from side to side to pick up logs from the landings. This pulley weighs 56 lbs. I found two of these and brought one out. I will go after the other at a later date

Attachments

• iron.JPG
    iron.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,127
  • wheel.JPG
    wheel.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,136
Upvote 0

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Detectingfreak said:
why would you remove those from the woods if they arn't worth anything? Nice finds :)

Looking at his avatar leads me to believe he has an interest in this type of "treasure" and collects it for restoration. Not all of us only look for gold and silver, a few of us are after truly historic items that have some sort of meaning to us.

Grip

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, we treasure hunters haul all kinds of stuff out of the woods, water, you name it. I have carried grinding stones out of fields, that I had to stop 4 or 5 times before I got back to my truck. Same thing out of the water, those darn anchors are heavy, but bring some good money from those crazy people who forget to tie them to their boats. LOL

HH, Ringfinder

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
DrGrip said:
Detectingfreak said:
why would you remove those from the woods if they arn't worth anything? Nice finds :)

Looking at his avatar leads me to believe he has an interest in this type of "treasure" and collects it for restoration. Not all of us only look for gold and silver, a few of us are after truly historic items that have some sort of meaning to us.

Grip
that is true Dr Grip an if not for his interest he could be saving scrap iron so when it hits the roof again he'll have some to unload at a really good price...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I would expect no less than this type of dedication and perseverance from the Tnet member who has the largest collection of vintage lumber camp and sawmill equipment in the world.

Great finds!

Every time you post, I know I will learn something new by looking at what you found.

Keep it up. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
lumbercamp

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Thanks for all the compliments guys and to Detectingfreak, everything I haul out of the woods I clean it, preserve it, ID where it came from and mark the location on a topo map. I had read about some logging RR switchbacks near my home and went to check it out. I took photos of two switchbacks and since it was a nice day (cool-no bugs) I went home and got my detector and found the two pulleys from the log loader. I have been researching and digging this lumber barons camps for years, plus many others. I have met new friends through my finds. One man borrowed some of the relics that I have found and took them 250 miles to his hometown and gave a talk on them. Not ranting, just explaining my interest in digging the old lumber era.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
you should see what I've dragged out of the lake. tons of stuff. sometimes you have to remove these things to get to the goodies underneath them. cool finds.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lumbercamp said:
Thanks for all the compliments guys and to Detectingfreak, everything I haul out of the woods I clean it, preserve it, ID where it came from and mark the location on a topo map. I had read about some logging RR switchbacks near my home and went to check it out. I took photos of two switchbacks and since it was a nice day (cool-no bugs) I went home and got my detector and found the two pulleys from the log loader. I have been researching and digging this lumber barons camps for years, plus many others. I have met new friends through my finds. One man borrowed some of the relics that I have found and took them 250 miles to his hometown and gave a talk on them. Not ranting, just explaining my interest in digging the old lumber era.
Lumbercamp, where you located? I am originally from Eastern Oregon. My Dad was a part of a team on a 2-man crosscut saw, up in the hills above LaGrande, Oregon on the Grande Rhonde River. Don't live in the U.S., or I would be looking for those old lumber camps that he and his partner and my Mom were a part of.....know that there are lots of relics/coins/stuff in and around those camps.
Good hunting...... :thumbsup:

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Detectingfreak said:

Because there are a certain number of us who find treasure in historic relics as well as silver and gold....which is why Lumbercamp and I are are in the same boat...LOL
Here is one I dragged home through the woods....worth every scratch, bruise and sore back!

Attachments

• forge.jpg
    forge.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 798
  • forge.jpg
    forge.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 805
OP
OP
lumbercamp

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
And that is how Gypsy Heart was nominated as Queen of Rust, by hauling relics like that home. Hikeinmts, I am in north central Pa. My ancestors settled here in the late 1860's and I have dug their old home site. The spring house is still standing.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Gypsy Heart said:
Detectingfreak said:

Because there are a certain number of us who find treasure in historic relics as well as silver and gold....which is why Lumbercamp and I are are in the same boat...LOL
Here is one I dragged home through the woods....worth every scratch, bruise and sore back!

what is that :icon_scratch:

looks like it weighs a ton :o

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron relics can be awesome :icon_sunny:

Great and interesting ID on your resent finds.

Love your avatar display lumbercamp :thumbsup:

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the oil fields, we drag a chain behind the pick-up down a gravel road to clean it. It Works very well.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lumbercamp said:
And that is how Gypsy Heart was nominated as Queen of Rust, by hauling relics like that home. Hikeinmts, I am in north central Pa. My ancestors settled here in the late 1860's and I have dug their old home site. The spring house is still standing.
My ancestors settled in East. Oregon in the late 1800's.....Dad moved away from the farm when he got married and had to support a wife.
I am sure that lumbering is much the same in Pa. as it is in Or. Best to you and your family.....and have a bunch more good hunts......and be careful for your back....luggin that heavy weight can get you down.....voice of experience talking.
God bless.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Well, I would expect no less than this type of dedication and perseverance from the Tnet member who has the largest collection of vintage lumber camp and sawmill equipment in the world.

Great finds!

Every time you post, I know I will learn something new by looking at what you found.

Keep it up. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Buckles
And I think it's cool :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread