Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andy Rooney's Lost Treasures.

Not realy Treasure in the News so I'll post it here

Andy Rooney: Christmas brings monetary memories to mind

We had a great Christmas this year. We have a summer house in the country in upstate New York and there were 12 of us at the table for the Christmas turkey. Margie is gone now and my son, Brian, Cecile and their two kids, Emma and Kathryn, didn't make the trip from California. It would have cost me about $2,400 to fly four people from Los Angeles to New York and back, and when they got to New York, they still would have had to travel to our home upstate. We missed them, but Christmas was good anyway.

I'm embarrassed to say how much I like Christmas and Christmas presents. I don't know how it got started, but giving presents at Christmas is one of the great customs of all time. They're as much fun to give as to get. I don't know which I like better. I seem a little old to enjoy getting a Christmas present but I loved it as a kid and I've never gotten over liking it. (I've never called a Christmas present a "gift," either. "Gift" is too stuffy a word for such a good thing as a Christmas present.)

I can still remember some of the presents I got as a child. Uncle Bill always gave me a $20 gold coin. These coins were issued from 1838 to 1933. Most $20 gold coins were melted down, and the ones that are left are extremely rare and hard to find. If you do find one, it could be worth thousands of dollars.

They say the value of a $20 gold coin today depends on the condition it's in and the year it was minted. Somehow, though, I can't imagine a $20 gold coin being used so much that it was worn out and worth less. I hid the gold coins Uncle Bill gave me over the years and eventually they disappeared. I had a great mother, but she wasn't as sentimental about things as I am, and I think she found them and paid bills with my $20 gold coins. Her attitude was that it was just money.

More : Also see Page 2

http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/...ey-Christmas-brings-monetary-memories-to-mind

K

Kentucky Kache

Re: Andy Rooney's Lost Treasures.

I believe he did hide the coins. Anyone too tight to spend $2400 to be with his children for the holidays (when he could afford it) would be the type to hide/hoard money. I wonder if he would give a person 10% for finding them.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I Found that odd also.

An Obvious Millionaire Worried about $2400

I wonder what he Spends on Presents ?

$20.00 Each ?

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe

jeff of pa said:
I Found that odd also.

An Obvious Millionaire Worried about $2400

I wonder what he Spends on Presents ?

$20.00 Each ?

Thats what I was thinking! ;D

But that would be 20 different "presents" from the $1 store ::)

Cachefinder-

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Being stingy is how some people get rich, I guess.

My mother-in-law used to say that some people could "squeeze a nickle until the buffalo pooped"

B

5woodluther

Dec 4, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You know what I don't understand? Why is it, that Grumpy Old Rich Men can't spend a few bucks to be with their children at christmas.

I believe this would be his comentary starter if he did a story on himself.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plehbah said:
5woodluther said:
You know what I don't understand? Why is it, that Grumpy Old Rich Men can't spend a few bucks to be with their children at christmas.

I believe this would be his comentary starter if he did a story on himself.

He obviously comes from bread if he received 20 dollar gold coins when he was a kid back in 1850.

2400 bucks to fly in his whole family?

What a maroon!

Yea But then it would have taken another 30 or so for
bus Tickets to the house. :D

Quote:
they still would have had to travel to our home upstate

I'm sure he wouldn't spring for Gas for his Limo to go get them.

Maybe that's why he wants Bigger paper money.
Thinks it will go Fruther.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions