Anglo-Saxon gold ring

slapeddicus

Greenie
Aug 7, 2008
west london
Detector(s) used
minelab se(back up cortes)
found this last sunday on a club dig, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
the ring dates back to whats known as the darkages in England between 500AD-900AD.
ring10a.jpg ring31a.jpg ring16a.jpg

Upvote 0

ZenAgain

Nov 2, 2007
Fort Polk LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, White's DFX, Bullseye 2
How exactly do they date it to the Dark Ages? (We are familiar with them here in the States despite what you may have been taught). Just wondering......

OP
OP
slapeddicus

slapeddicus

Greenie
Aug 7, 2008
west london
Detector(s) used
minelab se(back up cortes)
ZenAgain said:
How exactly do they date it to the Dark Ages? (We are familiar with them here in the States despite what you may have been taught). Just wondering......
archi's have found items like the ring and can date them from there records or from the context of where found, and by the style of the ring.for e.g a grave may contain a Anglo-Saxon body that is wearing a ring of the type,they then know that the ring is in context with Anglo-Saxon grave,as an after thought what if the saxon person had found the ring in say in a field and the ring had been in the ground since Roman times;i'm starting to think i shouldn't try to answer this ? :tard: :tard: :tard:

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Great ring, wish the sites here were that good. Maybe one day I´ll get back home, from over the water in the land of sausages LOL

Northern Lights

Sep 15, 2008
Georgian Bay Lake Huron, 2 hrs N. of Toronto
Detector(s) used
whites surfmaster pulse, tesoro silver sabre, fisher 1280x
I think most of the great finds over there have been found on farms. we visited many years ago and I don't think you could ever run out of places to hunt there, ah the history. I hunted a park near Coventry, and dug very gingerly, thinking I might hit unexploded bombs from the war, didn't need to worry though. my wife did find a gold ring on our outing in that park. terry

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great find, a very nice ring and old old old... Congrat!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread