Animal Lovers, Ya Gotta See This One- Fawn and Beagle

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Reminds of a sad/happy times a fawn went through out at the ranch. Wish I had taken pictures of Hootie when he showed up.
OJ was a black lab that my daughter got from the pound, a strange dog that earned his keep. Turned out to be a very intellegent stock dog, cared for every thing.
Max was a golden retriever, had a problem and was at the vets for a few days, also a smart dog with kids.
OK my first sight of Hootie was coming across a pasture with OJ, right beside him and he was making a crying sound. My Son In Law and I were out watching the Martins learning to fly and here comes Hootie. That fawn was all around us making his little crying sounds acting like he wanted us to get close to him. I told my Son In Law we shouldn't touch him because his mother may reject him if she smelled us.
OJ was restless and wanted us to go with him, so we followed him seemed like miles but it was only a half mile. And he showed us a terrable site, the mother had jumped a fence of the ranch across the road and got hung in the wire and hung herself. The sad part, she was dead. Hootie was following us too so we picked him up and handeled him, and he followed us back, became part of the family but free, like OJ.
We had to see that he got fed so I went to town 25 miles and got a case of goat milk,
he wouldn't drink any and he went over to Max'S pet carrier and went in and lay down and slept all night, the next morning he was starving and got his fill of goats milk and seemed happy and felt like we were family. Later that morning he and OJ romped around the place without a care. He grew up happy and free
He got an orange collar and all the hunters around knew him, he ended up with a harem of five does, and turned back to the wild, only come around every three or four months, with his girls. And would only come within about fifty feet, We figured he didn't want no one close to his womenfolk. I am sure something like this has happened to all of us and most of us get busy and take no pictures, some times that is furtherest thing from our mind. We are lucky to have people that take the time to record these sad or happy times. Thanks for those memories. Gnewt

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
CarolinaDigs said:
This is a wonderful picture. :)

its a nice picture but it makes me wonder what happened to mom. that's unusual behaviour for a wild animal. :'(

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope the mom wasn't killed and thats why the baby fawn followed the dog.. but the pix is absolutely great too.

Mobes

Oct 4, 2007
Westmont IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
That is a great pic. You never know with a fawn wheather mom was killed or not, the mothers always leave them alone when they are that young. I have seen a pic before where the mother camped her fawn out on a back porch of someones house.

Locke

Oct 16, 2007
Man I would have been tempted to keep the little thing...they sure are cute!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread