Anniversary, help?

jonny5

Jun 5, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I have our 10 year anniversary coming up and I'd like to surprise her with a trip to go meteorite hunting somewhere here in the USA. We are from Wisconsin. I know very little about meteorite hunting but I expect to rent a metal detector to help...where is a good place for us to visit?

Also, if we go hunting 4-5 days are we likely to find anything?

Thank you for you help!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Wisconsin for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - While waiting for member responses - you might consider browsing METEORITES...

OP
OP
J

jonny5

Jun 5, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much! I'm looking to take her on an out if state trip, probably a flight, to go meteorite hunting. She loves anything lunar related and would be over the moon to go hunting for a meteorite!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much! I'm looking to take her on an out if state trip, probably a flight, to go meteorite hunting. She loves anything lunar related and would be over the moon to go hunting for a meteorite!

Thoroughly approve of the pun. Our 40th anniversary is next month - and I have no idea. But we'll have to go someplace with cooler temps.

Good idea to post here for ideas.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet and congrats for your forthcoming anniversary.

Most meteorites are found ‘by eye’ from searching in areas which are generally naturally free from terrestrial rocks such as sandy deserts, ancient dry lake beds and ice fields or frozen lakes. Glaciers also carry rocks with them, so glacial moraines can be a good place to look (as in Antarctica).

In America, Southern California's Mojave Desert might be a good place to try. The desert also has dry lake beds (Rosamond, Muroc, and others) which have yielded many specimens. This will be random searching just because the terrain is suitable for making finds. Those areas don’t naturally contain more meteorites than other locations, but they’re more easily spotted because the areas are generally poor in terrestrial rocks.

Your chances can also be better in large expanses of farmland that have seen the soil depleted of rocks by continual cultivation. Wheat fields in the Great Plains for example, where anything that has fallen recently will stand out (at the right time of year), but you would of course need landowner permission.

The other option to improve your chances is to target large known strewn fields which have a history of finds. I wouldn’t bother with, say, the areas around the Barringer Crater (Meteor Crater) in Arizona. It was a huge impact but: most of the impactor is believed to have vaporised; the area has been well picked over, leaving only tiny pieces of debris; and in any case the site is privately owned. It is however well worth a visit for anyone interested in meteorites:

https://www.barringercrater.com/for-visitors

Other well-known strewn fields that hold more promise include those near Holbrook and Franconia in Arizona, and Glorieta Mountain in New Mexico. Since 1995, thousands of stony meteorites have also been found in what appear to be two overlapping strewn fields around Gold Basin in Arizona.

In most cases, a metal detector (even a finely tuned one) doesn’t necessarily improve your chances and will increase the number of false positives. It won’t hurt, but I wouldn’t rely on it to the exclusion of keen visual observation. I wouldn’t be prepared to put a rating on your likelihood of finding something, except that it would be low, rising to moderate at best.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck and have fun.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google search: united states meteorite hunting tours
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread