Annoying International Buyers

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently sold some computer games to an international buyer. So ... I box them up, weigh them, and send him an invoice. He FINALLY pays and sends me an email. Despite the fact that I specifically mention it in the listing that I will NOT change the amount on the customs form, he asks me to put a value of $8 each on the games that he just paid 27 and 41 for. On top of it, he wants me to double box his items ... which isn't a problem except he waits until AFTER he pays for shipping cause adding a second box will add to the weight/cost of the shipment.

Annoying. He's getting an email back stating that I have already securely packaged his item and I will not change the amount. If that isn't sufficient for him, he can cancel the sale. Ugh.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't let him drag it out. it is wasting your time and you could be reselling it. there are only a few countries I will sell to other than here. so few, i don't even remember them right now. must be English speaking.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to be careful it is illegal to change value on custom forms and you could get in trouble for it. It is unlikely but it could happen. He basically wants you to change the value to save him import duties. As for the changing of packaging I do not think I would do it as it is a waste for your time considering the value of the items, not to mention you have to pay more for shipping out of your pocket.

- Koffee

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have international buyers do this constantly, even with that in the listing. I never lower the price and Ebay will automatically remove any negative feedback related to buyers complaining about custom fees. I have never had a problem just explaining that I do not lower the values. You have to protect your investment first. I think international buyers just get pushy because alot of Ebay sellers will eventually cave to their requests.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I think international buyers just get pushy because alot of Ebay sellers will eventually cave to their requests.
This^. After I read this thread, I get a request to ship a USN Canvas bag to Taiwan. My auction states US. And the guy is registered to a US address! I read the request out loud and my wife yells "NO!" because I have had two issues with overseas shipments in the last 2 months(one of which cost me $). I just replied "Sorry, I don't ship to Taiwan.".

OP
OP
F

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
The buyer was fine when I reminded him that I don't change the value. Also, it was a "translation" issue about the double boxing ... when he said "extra" box I thought that meant double boxing, but he only ever intended a single box.

All's well that ends well ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread