DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I know what you mean about wondering why we continue to dig pennies. If I'm sure it's one of the new zinc cents and it's a couple of inches deep sometimes I will pass it up. Great coin count.

GroundSnooper

Mar 10, 2007
St. Paris, Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, MXT, GMT. Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg, wanna share the advice on finding the nickels? ;D

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ya, no doubt, I have yet to find more than 1 nickel.

midnightguy

May 20, 2006
Upstate NY
Wow, Nice day.. My Whites 5900 Pro is great with nickles. I have found plenty (70+) over the past year or so. Now if I could only find as many silver coins.. Aw well. It's still fun looking.. Midnightguy

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
That's a great job, we dig them pennies because no one else will. I hit over 130 today. alot will say it's to boring but with them kind of numbers, the jewelry comes a lot quicker... Nice job HH Art...

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Sure it will probably help you but not sure if it will help Toby....Because of detector he is using. Someone on another forum mentioned they noticed my nickel count was low compared to the other coins I was finding. I already new that and knew part of the reason. Seeing you use a XLT, here goes...I was strictly digging nickel hits at only 18-19. I was thinking I was getting the majority. I figured I was also missing gold from 14-17, and from 20-24. But the areas I dig are extreme trash!! OK that was at the beginning of the week. He mentioned I should be digging all the nickel range hits. So I focused in on digging everything between 16-24, widening my dig range for nickels. The next day I dug 14 nickels! Now this week alone I probably added 30! I think it is a matter of paying more attention and not ignoring those signals. I have dug a few more pulltabs...but with tone id on I have a pretty good idea already when it is a nickel. The pulltab seems to echo or break up, the nickel is usually a solid signal, one to two bars and very easy to pinpoint. I hope this helps.

tmcblane said:

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
tmanfromtexas said:
HOLY COW!!! Thats a whole lot of coins. Where do you go for totals like that? TMAN...

I hunt extremely trashy parks and always have a headache when I am done! I always use tone id on. What that does is assign a different sound to each single reading on the DFX. Believe me with the dfx, the sounds are very distinct. They start with a low bass for nickels, pennies in the middle, and sings out for the dime and quarter completely different then listening to the same monotonous beep beep beep....< This is the standard on the dfx also. But with the pro options tone id takes care of that. I do not load up on discrimination or jack up my pre amp gain as some do with the dfx, I usually start out with the basic coin program with some very minor changes.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Southcacalaky said:
That's a great job, we dig them pennies because no one else will. I hit over 130 today. alot will say it's to boring but with them kind of numbers, the jewelry comes a lot quicker... Nice job HH Art...

Wow and I thought I was nuts!!! ;D Seriously I always hope that with the pennies there is a coin spill and a few dimes or quarters or both with it! I had signal earlier this year that started with a penny and ended after digging 16 coins!

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
tmcblane said:

With the DFX at least, nickels will always VDI a solid 20 more than not - maybe 19, 21 but 20 is a nickel or a square pulltab. Every thousand of those might get you a gold wedding band!

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats alot of coins man! WTG!!

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
DFX-Gregg said:
Hit 104 today in exactly three hours. A little disappointed with my quarter count (6), but dimes (23) very good and nickels (9)continues to pick up thanks to some good advice! pennies (66), sometimes I wonder why I continue to dig them, one wheatie.

Better than diggin pull tabs mate ;D, I dug about 2 dozen yesterday and only three coins. 104 coins in 3 hours blows my mind. Well done!

HH

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
TXTim said:
tmcblane said:

With the DFX at least, nickels will always VDI a solid 20 more than not - maybe 19, 21 but 20 is a nickel or a square pulltab. Every thousand of those might get you a gold wedding band!

That is what I though, relying on one reading! Mine I thought was a solid 19. Turned out not to be true. I dug a ton more nickels last week giving a little more range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread