Another Amazing Yard: Multiple Colonial Coppers, Relics, and Coin Spill!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had hoped to be out detecting today, but with 6-10 inches of snow everywhere instead I'll post this amazing yard hunt that I managed to sneak in before the snow. Originally I hadn't thought this house would be particularly promising. It's a nice 1820-1830's brick house with a good bit of yard space, but there's definitely been some landscaping work and it's not too close to a town center. The hunt started slow with lots of deep modern trash and aluminum roof bits until I happened upon a shallow penny signal which turned out to be this:

DSC00280.JPG DSC00283.JPG

A 1787 Connecticut copper! The obverse in is decent shape, but the reverse didn't end up with as much detail. I was able to identify the variety in part thanks to the unusual feather at the end of "Connec:" I believe this is a Miller 37.9-e which is a rare variety!

As I went away from the house down a hill I started finding more shallow old targets including a nice 1803 large cent:

DSC00278.JPG DSC00279.JPG

At this point I started a grid and the next two hours saw dozens of great targets.

DSC00292.JPG DSC00293.JPG

There were numerous buttons, including a couple plain dandies and tombacs, but the coolest is the fancy 2-piece button depicting two children playing on a wall. I also turned up a beautifully engraved intact cuff link which was literally on the surface below leaves:

DSC00285.JPG

I also found another three colonial coins scattered about the hill and all are pretty well worn King George II halfpennies. One has enough detail to see the date, 1746, on the reverse though.

DSC00274.JPG DSC00275.JPG

Three hours in I had turned up some great finds, but I still hadn't come cross any silver which was a little sad.

Fortunately that would change at the far end of the hill. It was a weird low 90's signal, so I dug a large plug which broke apart. In the middle I eyeballed a small iron buckle which I thought was probably it, but I ran the detector over again to be sure and fortunately another of the clods was still ringing. I picked that up and it broke apart in my hand to reveal this:

Spill.jpg

Turn-of-the-century coin spill! Or actually more accurately a lost coin purse. It was four IHPs and a barber half, but the pennies were still wrapped in the leather from the pouch and I found part of the brass clasp. I also think the small iron buckle was part of the strap that connected it.

DSC00288.JPG DSC00289.JPG DSC00290.JPG DSC00291.JPG

The pennies were all pretty corroded from being in contact, but I did get them cleaned up enough to recover the dates: 1896, 1904, 1907, and 1908. The 1899-O barber half cleaned up amazingly and is in great shape. I've found some more modern spills even with silver, but this is now my oldest!

I also have a new record for old keys in one yard:

DSC00294.JPG

One has a brass tag with "86" stamped into it. I think it's probably a Victorian hotel key, but I don't have any leads on where it's from and I doubt this house was a hotel at any point. I also turned up two mystery pieces that I'm lost on, but really anxious to identify:

DSC00295.JPG DSC00296.JPG DSC00297.JPG DSC00298.JPG

The first I strongly suspect is late 1700's and is quite ornate. It's cast brass and only the long smooth end looks like it was broken. The other end tapers to a tip like a screwdriver and there are no holed anywhere so I don't think it's a section of a Georgian shoe buckle. The second is thinner brass and has the same design on all six sides. It's actually hollow, but has a little weight to it. I've never seen anything like either one so I don't have a clue.

There were tons of other relics recovered which were mostly standard 1800's to 1900's yard finds.

DSC00300.JPG

A number of spoon fragments, clock plate, and crotal bells. I finished the hillside, but there are at least 2 more acres of direct yard space and then some fields so I have plenty more ground to cover. I'm really hoping this snow melts soon so I can get back to it before the ground freezes!

Upvote 43

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing hunt. This would make the hunt of the year for most of us. Congrats and keep on swinging.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Paleo, these great hunts are almost routine for you lately. I do like that CT. Congrats.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paleo, these great hunts are almost routine for you lately. I do like that CT. Congrats.

Thank you, I like it too! I had a long dry spell earlier this fall so this has been a nice change of pace. Usually I only find good colonial relics at cellar holes, but these yard permissions have been killing it so I may have to focus on more door-knocking this spring!

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds!! Those old coppers are sweet!! Congrats!!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
WOW! That had to have been a BLAST! Congratulations and thanks for sharing, GL & HH ALL.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding hunt, you found "everything"...congratulations! :notworthy:

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow awesome finds! I'm loving the Barber half! And the coppers! And the buttons! And all the rest! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great hunt!!

While the coins are fantastic, i especially like the old skeleton keys. never seen one with the tag still attached!!

Looks like we're screwed for the near future though...

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that Barber half dollar! Heck, even the coppers look fantastic!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy molly those are some great finds.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW just WOW I can't help you on the indentiy of your two objects but they are neat as well

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a killer yard, great coins and I'm usually happy getting one key but that's a collection, well done

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great detecting. I like the CT copper most. I don't know if you can determine the variety. I recovered one a little while back and checked Bower's book. I think there's a billion varieties or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread