Another Amazing Yard: Multiple Colonial Coppers, Relics, and Coin Spill!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had hoped to be out detecting today, but with 6-10 inches of snow everywhere instead I'll post this amazing yard hunt that I managed to sneak in before the snow. Originally I hadn't thought this house would be particularly promising. It's a nice 1820-1830's brick house with a good bit of yard space, but there's definitely been some landscaping work and it's not too close to a town center. The hunt started slow with lots of deep modern trash and aluminum roof bits until I happened upon a shallow penny signal which turned out to be this:

DSC00280.JPG DSC00283.JPG

A 1787 Connecticut copper! The obverse in is decent shape, but the reverse didn't end up with as much detail. I was able to identify the variety in part thanks to the unusual feather at the end of "Connec:" I believe this is a Miller 37.9-e which is a rare variety!

As I went away from the house down a hill I started finding more shallow old targets including a nice 1803 large cent:

DSC00278.JPG DSC00279.JPG

At this point I started a grid and the next two hours saw dozens of great targets.

DSC00292.JPG DSC00293.JPG

There were numerous buttons, including a couple plain dandies and tombacs, but the coolest is the fancy 2-piece button depicting two children playing on a wall. I also turned up a beautifully engraved intact cuff link which was literally on the surface below leaves:

DSC00285.JPG

I also found another three colonial coins scattered about the hill and all are pretty well worn King George II halfpennies. One has enough detail to see the date, 1746, on the reverse though.

DSC00274.JPG DSC00275.JPG

Three hours in I had turned up some great finds, but I still hadn't come cross any silver which was a little sad.

Fortunately that would change at the far end of the hill. It was a weird low 90's signal, so I dug a large plug which broke apart. In the middle I eyeballed a small iron buckle which I thought was probably it, but I ran the detector over again to be sure and fortunately another of the clods was still ringing. I picked that up and it broke apart in my hand to reveal this:

Spill.jpg

Turn-of-the-century coin spill! Or actually more accurately a lost coin purse. It was four IHPs and a barber half, but the pennies were still wrapped in the leather from the pouch and I found part of the brass clasp. I also think the small iron buckle was part of the strap that connected it.

DSC00288.JPG DSC00289.JPG DSC00290.JPG DSC00291.JPG

The pennies were all pretty corroded from being in contact, but I did get them cleaned up enough to recover the dates: 1896, 1904, 1907, and 1908. The 1899-O barber half cleaned up amazingly and is in great shape. I've found some more modern spills even with silver, but this is now my oldest!

I also have a new record for old keys in one yard:

DSC00294.JPG

One has a brass tag with "86" stamped into it. I think it's probably a Victorian hotel key, but I don't have any leads on where it's from and I doubt this house was a hotel at any point. I also turned up two mystery pieces that I'm lost on, but really anxious to identify:

DSC00295.JPG DSC00296.JPG DSC00297.JPG DSC00298.JPG

The first I strongly suspect is late 1700's and is quite ornate. It's cast brass and only the long smooth end looks like it was broken. The other end tapers to a tip like a screwdriver and there are no holed anywhere so I don't think it's a section of a Georgian shoe buckle. The second is thinner brass and has the same design on all six sides. It's actually hollow, but has a little weight to it. I've never seen anything like either one so I don't have a clue.

There were tons of other relics recovered which were mostly standard 1800's to 1900's yard finds.

DSC00300.JPG

A number of spoon fragments, clock plate, and crotal bells. I finished the hillside, but there are at least 2 more acres of direct yard space and then some fields so I have plenty more ground to cover. I'm really hoping this snow melts soon so I can get back to it before the ground freezes!

Upvote 43

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s just plain crazy... What a great hunt! Love the old coppers, but some great relics as well. Congrats!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow what a great hunt. that's exactly how you spell FUN

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great hunt, I like a lot of those finds, especially the coppers with the dates, the Connecticut too. Very nice, having to wait on the weather would drive me nuts. I'm sure you'll find some more good stuff.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! :icon_thumleft: Maybe your unknown "T" is a cane topper?

adeptr

Aug 4, 2010
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Older Garrett GTA 350, Newer Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dang nice hunt for sure. We don't get that many (if any) colonial stuff on our digs here in northern Indiana. Did find an 1849 Braided Hair large cent in an early 1800's house earlier in the year. You are very fortunate to be able to hunt in one of the areas that our founders lived in. Congrats on your finds!!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were rewarded for going out in the cold. Great hunt with even better finds. I like it all. Congrats

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a banner yard Id be the crazy looking guy snow blowing the yard lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread