Another basement find in the crawl space

Kaleb71386

Dec 31, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350. Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A catholic thing I found today had to work for it.. Dose anybody know how to put a year on them? It's a good thing I found it had six nails in the same hole so I'm just going to keep taking nails out could be more stuff being masked

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 4

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting what can get left behind in a crawl space. Kudos for being willing to crawl in to get them.

OP
OP
Kaleb71386

Kaleb71386

Dec 31, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going back in today. It says o Mary conceive without sin pray for us then on the back sacred heart of Jesus protect us then there is a heart with a cross and thorns .. I'm going to see if I can find it on the net

OP
OP
Kaleb71386

Kaleb71386

Dec 31, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this bead.think it's a trade bead?

image.jpg

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this one is an early one. Late 1800's maybe early 1900's. :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
Kaleb71386

Kaleb71386

Dec 31, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old is this site? If that's a trade bead, its a great find!

I tracked the house back to 1880s..I've never seen a bead like this one I just know it's old and hand made has a frosty look to it

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kaleb71386

Kaleb71386

Dec 31, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Its known as a religious medallion. Good find, as for the bead... I don't think its a trade bead, but I could be wrong.

Keep @ it and HH !!

I think your right about the catholic medallion.. The bead was 8 in deep in the crawl space so I know it's old has to be from the late 1800s to be that deep down there so if it's not a trade bead what could it be? I could be wrong so I hope to find out more about it

Last edited:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure, I'm surprised no one more knowledgeable has piped in yet.... :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
Kaleb71386

Kaleb71386

Dec 31, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this marble today around the same spot I found the bead I'm going to take the dirt out in buckets and sift it who knows what I missed with the naked eye.. I will have to wait till it warms up to do that.. The oldest marble I've found yet

image.jpg

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Your medal is a "miraculous medal" or "medal of immaculate conception". They are hard to date because they have been made essentially similarly since 1830, when Mary was purportedly seen in this pose. Many bear this date, but it does not mean it was made then (they are still made this way). Originally they were all oval in shape, as I believe Mary allegedly dictated to the gal who saw her. So, somewhere along the line they got a bit loose with this detail.
It could be assumed to be about as old as your marble, perhaps. It's a glazed clay marble, right?

OP
OP
Kaleb71386

Kaleb71386

Dec 31, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's a glazed Bennington from Germany I think.. The medallion don't have a date on it like some I know what your talking about and they split a word on this one kinda strange I think

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you posted this stuff in the Whatsit forum, here on Tnet? :icon_scratch: If not you should, someone will tell you what you have right away if you do. Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
Kaleb71386

Kaleb71386

Dec 31, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure did I also got more info on the North American Indian forum for the bead still don't know what it is yet

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your medal is a "miraculous medal" or "medal of immaculate conception". They are hard to date because they have been made essentially similarly since 1830, when Mary was purportedly seen in this pose. Many bear this date, but it does not mean it was made then (they are still made this way). Originally they were all oval in shape, as I believe Mary allegedly dictated to the gal who saw her. So, somewhere along the line they got a bit loose with this detail. It could be assumed to be about as old as your marble, perhaps. It's a glazed clay marble, right?

I do not believe it to be a miraculous medal, but a religious medal with similarities. Miraculous medals were designed in a very specific way, as Mary was to have instructed a French nun named Catherine Laboure in 1830. Miraculous medals are oval in shape, and the writing around the perimeter says something a bit different, it says "Oh Mary Conceived Without Sin Pray For Us Who Have Recourse To Thee". Another difference is that there is no writing on the back of a miraculous medal. Sorry I can't help you more with the name of your medal. This topic always interests me because my church is named after St. Catherine Laboure and I always wear a miraculous medal around my neck. With any luck, I won't ever need a metal detector to find my own medal!

Miraculous Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
OP
Kaleb71386

Kaleb71386

Dec 31, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found this 1889 Indian head penny today down there