Another Big Knob bonanza!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Last week I did a post about some finds at an aunt's house near a land formation known as Big Knob. I have a second aunt in that area, and this morning I helped her take two loads of metal to a scrap yard. As we looked through decades of my uncle's accumulated treasures (license plates, hubcaps, this and that), I stumbled across an empty can of Birch Beer. Empty, that is, of that precious elixir, but half filled with halves! I hoped to find a Walker or Franklin in the bunch but it wasn't to be. I did manage a trio of 40% Kennedys. A little while later, I came across a pineapple can, again half filled with Kennedys. The total take is about $50, which my aunt insisted that I keep. She did manage to get $125 for the scrap we hauled, so it was a good day all around. Better yet, it's been raining for about 12 hours, which should soften up the ground the next time I'm able to attack it!

Never ask halfdime to estimate for you; after counting, the total was $80.50, including the three 40% silvers ::).

Attachments

• cache (Small).jpg
    cache (Small).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 519
Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of them 90% silver 1964 or before? Remember the ones from 1965-1969 are 40% silver.

Nice haul,

Keep @ it and HH!!

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Any of them 90% silver 1964 or before? Remember the ones from 1965-1969 are 40% silver.

Nice haul,

Keep @ it and HH!!

Here you go.....

halfdime said:
Last week I did a post about some finds at an aunt's house near a land formation known as Big Knob. I have a second aunt in that area, and this morning I helped her take two loads of metal to a scrap yard. As we looked through decades of my uncle's accumulated treasures (license plates, hubcaps, this and that), I stumbled across an empty can of Birch Beer. Empty, that is, of that precious elixir, but half filled with halves! I hoped to find a Walker or Franklin in the bunch but it wasn't to be. I did manage a trio of 40% Kennedys. A little while later, I came across a pineapple can, again half filled with Kennedys. The total take is about $50, which my aunt insisted that I keep. She did manage to get $125 for the scrap we hauled, so it was a good day all around. Better yet, it's been raining for about 12 hours, which should soften up the ground the next time I'm able to attack it!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Looks good Henry. :)

My scrap yard story..... my brother in law took the torn down shed to get the scrap steel (last week). He got almost $13 for it. I had somewhere around 13 lbs of aluminum and only got $8.

Looks like I should be canvasing the neighborhood for junk washers/dryers and such on trash night! ;D

Bob

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Mirage said:
Looks good Henry. :)

My scrap yard story..... my brother in law took the torn down shed to get the scrap steel (last week). He got almost $13 for it. I had somewhere around 13 lbs of aluminum and only got $8.

Looks like I should be canvasing the neighborhood for junk washers/dryers and such on trash night! ;D

Bob
Bob, yesterday's trip certainly opened my eyes! Instead of paying others to take scrap off your hands, let them pay you! And the scrapyard has some very interesting employees :tongue3:

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Tell your Aunt Im up for adoption.lol
Great find.
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions