Another Blasted Bottle Day

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Yesterday, I finally made it back to the old homesite I was able to detect a couple of weeks ago. It was very windy, and the freshly plowed fields and the bulldozed sites freely gave up dust to harass the intrepid MDer. After about 4 hours, I returned home looking like a dirt clod and my eyes feeling like they were full of sandpaper. And all I found were a few more bottles, and a clad 1965 dime.

I really wish the lip of the Orange Crush bottle hadn't been broken. The patent date on it is July 20, 1920. I thought the medicine bottles were interesting, especially the two older ones with screw tops.

Sorry about not getting a pic of the dime, but it was in my pocket and I forgot to take the picture. But, hey, it is only a badly tarnished clad dime that was found on the surface. Evidently, the dozer had exposed it.

For those of you that remember the old plow that was there and suggested I try to get it, I wish I had listened. It had been bulldozed into a trash pile and was destroyed. Oh, well, the wife would have shot me for bringing it home anyway. FWIW, it was a McCormack-Deering.

Mike

Attachments

• Homesite.jpg
    Homesite.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 384
  • bottles_1.jpg
    bottles_1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 389
  • bottles_2.jpg
    bottles_2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 386
  • bottles_3.jpg
    bottles_3.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 384
Upvote 0

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bottles there digger!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet bottles, Digger. Any idea what was is the blue or green bottles? Blue one maybe Philip's Milk of Magnesia? Just a guess as I'm too young to remember those. :)

Keep digging!

T

TreasureTales

Blue bottle is Bromo Seltzer (says so on the bottom) and the green one looks like a Canada Dry Ginger Ale bottle. The small, clear glass bottle on the right in the first photo looks like a baby food jar. The Orange Crush bottle is nice, despite the damage to the lip. Nice stuff! Bummer about the plow, but maybe the blade is still intact and worth keeping?

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So ya came home lookin like yer avatar, huh? :D

Don't know what it is, but the blue bottles always catch my eye! Super finds!

Congrats! Nana ;)

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
I like your Avatar too.

Do you have a little trailer like that?

What does it include (sorry off topic) send a link if you can.

but, I might like one on a prospecting trip to protect me from bears, mtn lions, snakes and be a little more comfortable than the ground.

Burt

OP
OP
Trash Digger

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Michiganne said:
Sweet bottles, Digger. Any idea what was is the blue or green bottles? Blue one maybe Philip's Milk of Magnesia? Just a guess as I'm too young to remember those. :)

Keep digging!

TreasureTales nailed the bottle IDs. The blue one is indeed Bromo Seltzer by Emerson Drug Company. The green one I figured is either Ginger Ale or Mountain Dew, probably from the '70s.

wildrider said:
I like your Avatar too.

Do you have a little trailer like that?

What does it include (sorry off topic) send a link if you can.

but, I might like one on a prospecting trip to protect me from bears, mtn lions, snakes and be a little more comfortable than the ground.

Burt

Sorry, Burt, I'm not quite sure what you are asking. If you mean a trailer to carry my stuff in, no, I don't have one. I just put everything in the back of my truck.

Nana40 said:
So ya came home lookin like yer avatar, huh? :D

Congrats! Nana ;)

Yeah, Nana, you nailed it! :)

TreasureTales said:
Blue bottle is Bromo Seltzer (says so on the bottom) and the green one looks like a Canada Dry Ginger Ale bottle. The small, clear glass bottle on the right in the first photo looks like a baby food jar. The Orange Crush bottle is nice, despite the damage to the lip. Nice stuff! Bummer about the plow, but maybe the blade is still intact and worth keeping?

I found the blade on my first trip there. I took it and laid it on the plow. It was nowhere to be found this time.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread