Another day full of goodies.... 10-03-06

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out with Lee and Larry and hit the park again today. Lately it has just been giving it up to me like a drunk prom date....

I even pulled a coin out today that I've never dug from here. A Shield Nickel! It was well used when it went into the ground though, haha. This park started sometime around 1910 or so I believe and the last year for shields was 1882, so it had a good 30 years or more before it was lost. You can make out the 5 on one side and nothing on the back. It is worn like a disc almost.

I also got 3 more indian heads (1882, 1890, 1894), a 1952 silver rosie, 4 wheats, and that ring with with the green stone. It was about 9 inches deep. It was an iffy signal right near where I dug the 1883 canadian dime the other day at the same depth, so when I dug the plug within the plug to get that deep it started screaming and all I could think was SEATED!

I also dug another signal that was bouncing from penny to iron. I dug the plug and see a rusty old bottle cap. Popped it out of the hole and literally right underneath it was that 1890 indian head. The detail on it is amazing and if it wasn't green would easily grade AU-50 or better. 4 full diamonds, the whole shebang! Stupid green! The picture actually make it look quite a bit worse than it really is.

10-03-06.JPG

10-03-06-02.JPG

10-03-06-03.JPG

Upvote 0
D

doyboy

One hell of a day, dude! You are going to beat me in the IH category. Since nursing school started back up, I have not had much time. I only can get out on the weekends. I hope you hit 75, bud!

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doyboy said:
One hell of a day, dude! You are going to beat me in the IH category. Since nursing school started back up, I have not had much time. I only can get out on the weekends. I hope you hit 75, bud!

Thanks man! I'm inching closer and closer to 75. I'm up to 57 now and 72 silver on the year. 18 and 28 away from each goal and just 32 wheats away from 400.

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa
How do you decide your goal for the year? When does your year start/end? Do you include coin roll hunting in your totals?
I think im going to keep better track next year, and was just wondering what you use to set the goals, thanks*

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
battlecat said:
How do you decide your goal for the year? When does your year start/end? Do you include coin roll hunting in your totals?
I think im going to keep better track next year, and was just wondering what you use to set the goals, thanks*

I didn't really set any goals until a month or two ago since this is my first full year of detecting and I didn't really know what to expect. My year starts january 1st and end december 31st. Nope, I don't include coin roll hunting. Those are kept in a seperate spreadsheet. :)

Next year I will probably set goals higher than this year.

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just incredible!!! Keep it up. Your recent posts have given me the itch to get out more often!

Goaldigger

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Nice digs Brian.

I wish I could get out there as often as you do!

I'm as green as your indians.

Incidentally, they come out all green like that around here, too.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul Brian! Thanks for posting for us ;D.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Bsco......Those there Indian Heads sure come out of the ground in very nice shape. Great job!

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
OMG Bscofield great finds as always. Could you take a little trip down here to southeast Kentucky and give me boost? Give me some tips .... then after all that and I still come up with not much..let me drool on your finds :) LoL

Congratulations,

Postalrevnant

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Dude, you are smokin. ;D I think you have figured out this metal detecting thing. You know to hit the hot spots till they cry uncle. :D That is a nice Injun. Also, even though I can't tell I think I like the shield nickel ;) . Crap, I still gotta find that V nickel.

Mirage

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
I like patina. It shows age. Most come out that way around here. 90 percent of the time the indians around here look better than the wheats coming out of the ground. Nice finds

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, sharp IHC, there... and hey... I've always liked that kind of green patina. It's actually considered a plus by some collectors of ancient coins (most of which were dug outta the ground at one point in time). That flaky, active-corrosion kinda green I don't like, but that darker dug-Indian-cent green is nice. I've seen some two-cent pieces that came up with that color, too (though not dug by me personally).

One of my sharpest dug Indians also happens to be an 1890.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Really cool finds Brian you are wreaking havoc up there almost glad you didnt go hunting with me last weekend I doubt you would have left me anything but a couple of memmys :} Hey when they plow those fields up there I would sure love an invite to hunt one of your old homesteads,since I cant draw you to Indy for hunting maybe I could come up there and get some explorer lessons? Hey I was wondering what sort of coil you have stuck on the end of that thing? Are you working one of those WOT's?

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE
I agree with some of the other replies, the green looks great. That is a beauty of a coin. Good luck hitting your goals.
HH
Mark G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread