Another ebay irritation and its not ebays fault.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a sellers fault. I need an item (some neodymium magnets) I found the size I liked and the right quantity if I ordered two lots. He has them at $8.24 (odd price) for a lot of 50, but he has the MAKE OFFER button showing. So I made an offer of $7.50 X 2 = $15.00 for the 100 I wanted.

Well the offer will expire in a few hours and no response from him yet. I just sent him an unhappy message, trying not to be rude. I need those magnets very soon and he has wasted two days. I can be a little pushy because he is from New Jersey and I guess that works over there ;)

This was my message to him:
Are you just going to ignore my offer? if you don't like it then reject it. I need magnets that size and I have now waited two days.

I will see if that works. There are other sellers out there. I ordered several sizes from another seller and his acknowledgement say I will get them Monday. Now that is service. They shipped the same day I ordered.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thought on MAKE OFFER buttons.

Don't put them up if you will not bargain.

A couple months ago I made an offer, it was kind of low but I always expect a counter offer. He would not come down a nickle.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally think the offer should stand for 24 hours only myself. If it takes a seller 2 days to respond, he shouldn't be selling.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a $1.48 you get mad at him? Pay what he wanted and they would be on their way to you. yes that was rude of you.
It is a sellers fault. I need an item (some neodymium magnets) I found the size I liked and the right quantity if I ordered two lots. He has them at $8.24 (odd price) for a lot of 50, but he has the MAKE OFFER button showing. So I made an offer of $7.50 X 2 = $15.00 for the 100 I wanted.

Well the offer will expire in a few hours and no response from him yet. I just sent him an unhappy message, trying not to be rude. I need those magnets very soon and he has wasted two days. I can be a little pushy because he is from New Jersey and I guess that works over there ;)

This was my message to him:
Are you just going to ignore my offer? if you don't like it then reject it. I need magnets that size and I have now waited two days.

I will see if that works. There are other sellers out there. I ordered several sizes from another seller and his acknowledgement say I will get them Monday. Now that is service. They shipped the same day I ordered.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If it was $8.24 each, I could understand haggling. I, personally, probably would have tried for $8.00 even. But for $8.24 for 50? I'd have no problem with that.

What do these same magnets cost on other websites? Is $8.24 a reasonable price?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd check his feedback. And this time of year we all tend to run away from home on those pesky "vacation" things.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a $1.48 you get mad at him? Pay what he wanted and they would be on their way to you. yes that was rude of you.

Rude of me? He had the MAKE OFFER button up. That means he would make a deal. I wanted two lots and basically wanted a quantity discount. $5.00 would be rude! I asked for a 10% discount. I was irritated because he never responded at all. He just let the 48 hours run out.

Now i have to start all over looking for the same product

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd check his feedback. And this time of year we all tend to run away from home on those pesky "vacation" things.

He should think of that in advance if he will be away. I went to Japan for a few weeks in April. I closed down all my auctions just before I left and restarted the day after I got back.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on all points. It's not really the $1.48. Typical common sense things if you're an ebay seller. Respond to legitimate offers in a timely manner. I usually respond within 12 hours or less. If a 10% discount is too much then you shouldn't have the best offer option up to begin with. If you are going out of town, end your listings or put them on vacation mode.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
To save a few cents you usually pay a price.
This time the price was time.

I think you are sour grapes because your cheap penny pinching plot did not go as you planned.
Suck it up, you are making yourself look bad.

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always uncheck that box because I work a full time job and don't have time for that crap. Most people think ebay sellers are retired and have nothing better to do than stare at their computer screen and run to the post office every day.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always uncheck that box because I work a full time job and don't have time for that crap. Most people think ebay sellers are retired and have nothing better to do than stare at their computer screen and run to the post office every day.
What gives you that idea?

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe there are other reasons he could not respond. Family emergency? Who knows?
No, he answered my message right after the make offer expired just by saying buy it at full price. He could have said that two days earlier.

By the way I did find a better magnet 12mm x 2mm 50 for $7.59 so my offer was more than legitimate. His size was 8mm x 1mm so actually he is on the high side.

And yes, I am tight with my change mr willie, can't help it I am half Scottish.

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What gives you that idea?

I didn't mean to come off sounding like it has been a really big deal but before I started adding this message in my description..." I always add the tracking number on the same day I ship your item" ... 75% of all buyers would message me asking me 'When are you going to ship the item and be sure to send me the tracking number' ... Of course I had to respond to each one even though I also made it clear in my description that I always ship within 3 days after payment. Ever since I started adding that message not one buyer has asked me that question again and I have 100% + feedback (1232) with 5 stars and it really has saved me a lot of time. Getting back to Cyberdan's problem I don't why anyone would want check the BEST OFFER box when selling something for $8.24?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't mean to come off sounding like it has been a really big deal but before I started adding this message in my description..." I always add the tracking number on the same day I ship your item" ... 75% of all buyers would message me asking me 'When are you going to ship the item and be sure to send me the tracking number' ... Of course I had to respond to each one even though I also made it clear in my description that I always ship within 3 days after payment. Ever since I started adding that message not one buyer has asked me that question again and I have 100% + feedback (1232) with 5 stars and it really has saved me a lot of time. Getting back to Cyberdan's problem I don't why anyone would want check the BEST OFFER box when selling something for $8.24?
Same here. I've never had that problem fortunately. Don't know if you do this but... If you print your labels via ebay, you save money and the tracking information is automatically uploaded and that information is provided to your customers.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't respond to an offer if it's insultingly low but 10% off s what most sellers would take in a heartbeat, I think.

Sometimes, if I get a quick offer on something, I will let it sit for a day or two just to see if it attracts other offers. But I will message the person and tell them I am considering it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread