Another field walk 1/29

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
More snow melted off and 41 degrees F today.
All I found was another handful of Burlington flint flakes.
Bottom row, center: reddish-tan (heat treat?)
Bottom row, right: a great rock for my up-coming Pareidolia Garden. It looked great in situ.
I guess just another walk, and that’s ok too. Have a great day!
IMG_2610.jpeg

Upvote 6

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to be frustrating, keep at it a good one awaits you...

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You’re finding high quality Burlington debitage but no points. Your site is midway between flint source and site where they lived. A safe spot where they could reduce what they got at the quarry but away from the quarry. Also, I’d say they are quarrying flint right out of a bluff deposit versus flint from a creek. Creek Burlington would be stained yellowish. Your material is bone white so it’s probably not creek flint. You need to expand your search. Flint source will be at bluff outcrop and habitation site close to water.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
You’re finding high quality Burlington debitage but no points. Your site is midway between flint source and site where they lived. A safe spot where they could reduce what they got at the quarry but away from the quarry. Also, I’d say they are quarrying flint right out of a bluff deposit versus flint from a creek. Creek Burlington would be stained yellowish. Your material is bone white so it’s probably not creek flint. You need to expand your search. Flint source will be at bluff outcrop and habitation site close to water.
Thanks for the info.
I’m gradually working west. I have high ground timber that drops sharply to a creek. The drop is around 60-70 feet.
The ground, on the timbered part, is heavy clay. Lots of vegetation on top.
I’m not sure of the best way to hunt this section. I’ve hunted the creek several times, but only polishing rocks, so far. I plan to go again today.🤞

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep ,what we call a workshop site here in Ohio, usally find alot of brokes rejects etc...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread