Another First & Another Bucket List Find....1857 Flying eagle Cent....

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to my abandoned house site where I recently found a lead soldier. The place is so loaded with trash and the weeds are gettin' so high it's almost not even fun (with the emphasis on almost).

I dug targets for at least 4 hours and almost all of them were trash, including lots of shell casings, a few bullets and other assorted random hunks of lead of many shapes and sizes. I'm beginning to think that these people scavenged metal or something. It's horrible.

So I decided to hit the driveway where I've pulled a few Wheaties in the past one last time. I got a very questionable hit I still can't quite figure out.

This coin rang up in the mid 60's like aluminum or a possible nickel but after digging through the layers of PACKED gravel (a freakin' PITA), out popped this baby:

Flying Eagle Cent and 1925 Wheatie 001.JPG Flying Eagle Cent and 1925 Wheatie 002.JPG

It's an 1857 Flying Eagle cent and only the second in my collection. My first is an 1858 but I didn't dig that one. My uncle gave it to me when I was a kid.

I'm really happy with this one to say the least. It surely saved the day. It looks shiny because after lightly rinsing it I smeared it with olive oil to try and get a good shot. Overall, it's not in bad shape at all for being in the dirt for all of these years. It looks even better in person.

I also dug a 1925 Wheatie:

Flying Eagle Cent and 1925 Wheatie 003.JPG

I worked really hard for those two small coins. I dug a few other modern Lincolns and one 1989 dime but that was about it coin wise. It's a really tough site and although I keep telling myself that silver HAS TO show up, so far it remains elusive. I'm really thinkin' it may have been cherry picked long ago because it's not exactly a secret location.

Still, I know that Flying Eagles don't show up often or easy so all in all, I'm pretty darn happy and consider this a great find and a great hunt. I can now scratch this one off the list.

Thanks for lookin' and HH.

*****EDIT*****

The mystery of the strange signal on the Flying Eagle is solved. They're not pure copper but copper & Nickel. I had no idea.
Hmm. Learn something every day.
Thank you PlzBSeated.

Last edited:
Upvote 19

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on those 2 coins. :thumbsup: the Flying Eagle has eluded my coil.

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! The odd signal is due to the cupro-nickel composition of the flying eagle coins. They will ring in lower than the IHPs. Dig all signals!

PBS

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dig all signals!

PBS

Amen to that brother!!

You NEVER truly know until you see it with your own two eyes no matter how fancy your machine is.

I dug so much junk today I can't tell you. But, I'm always telling myself, "it could be gold", or, "could be highly oxidized and misleading me", etc.

Had I relied only on what the machine was telling me I could have VERY easily left this one behind. The gut feelings don't hurt either. Sometimes you just "know" it's something good.

I know I'm glad I didn't pass over this one.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great find for you bud. That's a tough one to check off the list

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! That is one copper I want very much to find.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! That is one copper I want very much to find.

Thanks.
And keep in mind when you're out there lookin, it's not pure copper. It rings up between nickel and aluminum on my Delta. I truly almost missed this one.

So if you get a "can slaw signal", it could be a Flying Eagle. I didn't know that myself until today. That could very well be why they're a rare find.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find, man. A great reminder that persistence pays off. Just hammer away at those P.I.T.A. sites and you are bound to be rewarded. Congrats and GO FIND THAT SILVER!

I just keep saying that to myself as well. "There's GOT to be silver here!"

GL and HH!

-Jay

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, nice flying eagle! !

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one sweet Flying Eagle- Congrats!! I've found a couple and they're both toast- the copper/nickel coins don't seem (at least the ones I've found) to hold up very well at all. Yours is a beaut!

-- Jeff --

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, its on my bucket list too. I bet I walked over at least a couple of those. Some sites it pays to dig everything.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool, its on my bucket list too. I bet I walked over at least a couple of those. Some sites it pays to dig everything.

Yeah, now I'm wondering how many I've passed by.
I've passed on so many of those "aluminum" signals I can't count them.
Of course, my machine is pretty good on ID and when I do dig them, it usually is aluminum or other trash. It does make you wonder though.

Also, digging everything is great in theory but at this site, that would take 20 years. It's the worst place I've ever hunted trash wise.

I also found a nearby cellar hole I want to hit. I gave it a quick once over and it too is LOADED with iron, both inside and all around it.I just can't imagine why anyone would put so much metal in the ground the way they did at this place.

All of the earlier coins I've found at this site have been pennies with the exception of one 1946 nickel. Maybe they just didn't have it to drop or took very good care of what little they had.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one sweet Flying Eagle- Congrats!! I've found a couple and they're both toast- the copper/nickel coins don't seem (at least the ones I've found) to hold up very well at all. Yours is a beaut!

-- Jeff --

I think the fact that it was in gravel as opposed to pure dirt really helped preserve this one.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice catch on the flying eagle.. One beautiful designed coin. I have yet to find one in the water, did one early on with a old Explorer xs in my few dirt years... could have swore it was bronze, thanks for the info...

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread