Another newbie here, Need advice ..please

aldta

Aug 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I have been wanting a metal detector for years... and after speaking with a novice (who found a diamond ring within his first week)
I have decided to purchase one.
First I am in lower NY (near the city)
At this time I am interested in finding coins & jewelry mostly in parks (a beach every so often)
My budget is about $300

I came across the garrett ace 350 and bounty hunter platinum

but I am open to any suggestions

I hope I helped you help me by being as descriptive as i could

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I recommend the Ace 250 and Garrett propointer to get you started at your price point. You can't go wrong with Garrett equipment. Their tech support has been great. I bought the 250 and the 2500 from KellyCo. They give you lots of extras and are the best deal on price that I could find. Lots of history in your area and all the way up the coast on the sound. It was always productive for me in the 1980's.

Cheers
:occasion14:

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never said the Bounty Hunter was garbage. I have found many great things with my BH'rs. I agree with sandman that I always wanted to upgrade while using them.
The main drawback of the BH is if you want to hunt in all metal mode, i.e. playgrounds, you only get a single tone. The only way to get a multi tone to help decipher your targets is to turn disc on. With disc on you tend to lose gold and all fake jewelry. I have a F2 that I use now but still wish I would have bought an Ace 250 or the 350 with 8.25 kHz. But now I am saving my money for the AT Pro.

Come on Chris, if you're going to upgrade go for the GOLD! The AT Gold that is. I don't know if you've used the PRO or GOLD but I have and I find the gold to be much easier to learn and use and does have a slightly higher frequency to help find the smaller gold and it's smaller stock coil really helps work through the trash. I'm sure you've done your homework already just thought I'd throw my two cents in. :)

OP
OP
A

aldta

Aug 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never said the Bounty Hunter was garbage. I have found many great things with my BH'rs. I agree with sandman that I always wanted to upgrade while using them.
The main drawback of the BH is if you want to hunt in all metal mode, i.e. playgrounds, you only get a single tone. The only way to get a multi tone to help decipher your targets is to turn disc on. With disc on you tend to lose gold and all fake jewelry. I have a F2 that I use now but still wish I would have bought an Ace 250 or the 350 with 8.25 kHz. But now I am saving my money for the AT Pro.
No that wasn't a reference to you at all -- I was referring to my general search online.
what is AT Pro? (what company? how much)

OP
OP
A

aldta

Aug 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend the Ace 250 and Garrett propointer to get you started at your price point. You can't go wrong with Garrett equipment. Their tech support has been great. I bought the 250 and the 2500 from KellyCo. They give you lots of extras and are the best deal on price that I could find. Lots of history in your area and all the way up the coast on the sound. It was always productive for me in the 1980's.

Cheers
:occasion14:
I appreciate your input
I live new van courtlandt park and i have read of people finding old bullet shells and old coins - as there was a battle held there (IIRC)

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on Chris, if you're going to upgrade go for the GOLD! The AT Gold that is. I don't know if you've used the PRO or GOLD but I have and I find the gold to be much easier to learn and use and does have a slightly higher frequency to help find the smaller gold and it's smaller stock coil really helps work through the trash. I'm sure you've done your homework already just thought I'd throw my two cents in. :)
Fine, I will save enough for the Gold. :occasion14:
Research is the best way to decide on your detector.

bigtruck68

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh,Pa
Detector(s) used
whites xlt * minelab sovereign xs * whites 6000 DI Pro * musketeer xs * xp deus* etrac*tesoro vaquero *
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first off let me say that i am also new to the hobby. I started out with an older whites and it was real complex to use. i then bought a used tesoro and things changed . it is the easiest detector i think out there and works great too. i dont know anything about the ace except there are a LOT OF GUYS on here that really like them, that said i was out the other nite with a guy that had an ace and my deleon put it all over him......just my 2cts.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch this....& your choice is made

end thread

lawdog601

Jul 14, 2012
Personally, I use the White's MXT and have thoroughly enjoyed using it over others I've owned. Garrett isn't bad though...I started out with one. If you are just starting out in the hobby, I'd say go for the Garrett.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a Bounty Hunter and a Fisher F75. I love them both. I will probably buy the AT Pro within the year. The Bounty Hunter is good for coins and parks. Its tough. My fisher is too sensitive for town. The AT Pro is water proof and versatile. Problem with all these detectors, they have different options and functions. I would suggest figure out what type of hunting your gonna do. What you want to find. Where you will be hunting. The bouty Hunter is easy as its a grab and go machine. But you will soon want better depth and discrimination. Kellyco has a option you can compare many different detectors. Also you can probabally get by with a $10 dollar digging tool from Home Depot than $100 dollar tool from Predators tools? Another example is a $200 dollar Garret pinpointer, when the $17 dollar pinpointer from Harbor Freight works well enough. Heres another helpful tip. With the introduction of shows like American Diggers, there is most likely a glut of used like new detectors out there for sale right now. If your ok with used, thats the route I would suggest. Basically get the most machine you can afford. Take time to learn it. There is also a code of ethics that protect the hobby, so learn them as well. Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

lawdog601

Jul 14, 2012
Didn't know Harbor Freight had $17 pinpointers. I'll sure check into that. Got a buddy looking for one.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't know Harbor Freight had $17 pinpointers. I'll sure check into that. Got a buddy looking for one.

In my opinion they are JUNK..I have owned 2...They both are now in metal detector heaven...Just get a garrett pro pointer before you waste the 17 bucks!

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a Bounty Hunter and a Fisher F75. I love them both. I will probably buy the AT Pro within the year. The Bounty Hunter is good for coins and parks. Its tough. My fisher is too sensitive for town. The AT Pro is water proof and versatile. Problem with all these detectors, they have different options and functions. I would suggest figure out what type of hunting your gonna do. What you want to find. Where you will be hunting. The bouty Hunter is easy as its a grab and go machine. But you will soon want better depth and discrimination. Kellyco has a option you can compare many different detectors. Also you can probabally get by with a $10 dollar digging tool from Home Depot than $100 dollar tool from Predators tools? Another example is a $200 dollar Garret pinpointer, when the $17 dollar pinpointer from Harbor Freight works well enough. Heres another helpful tip. With the introduction of shows like American Diggers, there is most likely a glut of used like new detectors out there for sale right now. If your ok with used, thats the route I would suggest. Basically get the most machine you can afford. Take time to learn it. There is also a code of ethics that protect the hobby, so learn them as well. Good luck and welcome to the hobby.
If any body paid 200 bucks for a ProPointer they got ripped! They retail for 149.95 and most dealers including myself offer them for around 120.00 to 130.00 dollars. Including free shipping. Just saying. But I agree with kayden the harbor freight ones are total garbage. Spend the money on a ProPointer, don't use it on your first time out then on your next hunt use it and you'll quickly realize its your new best friend. You probably won't be able to find one of these used because 99.9% of people who buy them would cut off one of their fingers before they'd part with their ProPointer.

ironman

Aug 16, 2012
The Woodlands,Texas
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Garrett pro pointer and I love it I am new to this hobby and I own a Ace 250 love it but as new guys trying to pinpoint with a detector is kinda hard but once I dig my plug in goes my pointer. I waste more money on junk than my pointer cost so I final made a wise investment with the Garrett pro pointer

steveouke

Jun 12, 2012
Rose Hill, KS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 with 8 x 11 DD, Garrett PP, Lesche Digging tool, Sampson shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that the Ace 250 is a very capable little machine and you can put a DD coil on it from the Ace 350. This mod makes target separation alot easier. I have been using it for 8 months and it keeps surprising me. You can read more about the Ace on my blog.

www.stevessunkentreasures.wordpress.com

OP
OP
A

aldta

Aug 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first off let me say that i am also new to the hobby. I started out with an older whites and it was real complex to use. i then bought a used tesoro and things changed . it is the easiest detector i think out there and works great too. i dont know anything about the ace except there are a LOT OF GUYS on here that really like them, that said i was out the other nite with a guy that had an ace and my deleon put it all over him......just my 2cts.
Thanks

OP
OP
A

aldta

Aug 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone
I ended up purchasing an Ace 350 with the Garrett Pin pointer for a great price...
I am excited and can't wait to get it
Should be here this Friday

steveouke

Jun 12, 2012
Rose Hill, KS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 with 8 x 11 DD, Garrett PP, Lesche Digging tool, Sampson shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, you will love it. Don't get frustrated and keep swinging!

djrocker

Greenie
Aug 28, 2012
Spring, Texaas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150 / BH Camo LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just bought a Garrett 150 from a guy on Craigslist today for $75, My first MD ever. Messed around in my back yard and found 2 quarters, only $74.50 to go and it paid for itself LOL. I'll see how it goes and upgrade when I am ready.

skimel

Aug 23, 2012
Farmington NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am very pleased with my Ace 350. For the money, it can't be beat. Definately not the best, but it is a great value and so far has worked flawlessly. Get a pinpointer as soon as you can afford it.. Worth every penny!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread