Another Penny Error

adant311

Nov 13, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MXT
I went to the bank today and got $10.00 in pennies. I didn't find a whole lot but I did find a 1918, 1946, and this 193? S. The 193? S penny sounds weird when you drop it. I even looked under a magnifying glass and I still can't tell what the last number. It looks like it was never on there. Is that possible or did it get smashed off?

Attachments

• penny3.jpg
    penny3.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 323

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Most often it's simply a matter of grease or some other similar material getting stuck inside a portion of the die that is used to strike the coin so when it does hit the coin the details don't show up, that's how I understand it anyways- I know that when I search rolls of pennies I come across quite a lot of these and they don't seem to really carry any premium.. I'm guessing because they are so common. I think that there are some similar type error coins also that are a result of the die being polished to a high degree.. but I don't know if that will produce a coin missing only a certain number or letter etc..

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
whitesid said:
if its a 1931 its worth some $$
1) There may be a way to figure out if it is a '31 as some coins have "markers" that can identify them even without the date.
2) I seriously doubt that it is simply because the law of averages says so.
3) Even if it was it wouldn't bring a huge some in that beat up state (I see some damage on there besides the filled die)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions