Another piano find - another picture and a few $$

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
My mother's neighbors are clearing out their house, and they invited me to look for anything I might be interested in. I noticed immediately an old upright piano, which I knew they'd never be able to move, or even give away. I did offer to help move it outside, where I could tear it apart and haul away the pieces. The reason for my kind offer is that I've discovered old upright pianos often have old coins in them. This summer, one piano yielded a Merc and three older wheats, plus some clay marbles. That same piano coughed up a Buff last year, and I was able to tear it apart a little more this year. Anyway, I went over to check out the piano in question today and quickly found this nice 1909 wheat. No S, no VDB, just plain. This piano is at least 100 years old; it was made by a company in Pittsburg, PA. The "h" was added back to the city's name by 1910. There was nothing else of interest in the piano, which served well but is ready for disposal.

I finished dismantling the piano and took the harp to a scrapyard where I got $14.70 for the cast iron. I couldn't bear to part with this name plate that overlaid the harp; it is about 3 feet long and has the manufacturer and the old spelling of Pittsburg(h). I'll make some sort of decoration with it.

Attachments

• piano09 (Small).jpg
    piano09 (Small).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,074
  • kleber (Small).jpg
    kleber (Small).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 291
Upvote 0

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Another piano find

Rame' is always Righteous ... :wink:

Nice wheatina ... :icon_thumright:

~ Al

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Hey, nice to see that the Dr. and Al are still here!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

good save ;D MR TUFF

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Doing some further dismantling today, found the date "Feb 9, 1917" stamped on the inside; maybe they used the "Pittsburg" harps until they ran out.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

romeo-1 said:
Cool..!ut did you keep the ivory?
We kept some, just in case, but I don't think they were ivory. I could be wrong.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

halfdime said:
romeo-1 said:
We kept some, just in case, but I don't think they were ivory. I could be wrong.

If it's turn of the century it's ivory. There are a lot of scrimshaw carvers who use piano ivory.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

romeo-1 said:
halfdime said:
romeo-1 said:

If it's turn of the century it's ivory. There are a lot of scrimshaw carvers who use piano ivory.
[/quote
I'd like to go along with you on that, because plastics were still in the future (I think). Does 1917 count as turn of the century?

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

romeo-1 said:
halfdime said:
romeo-1 said:

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Around here, you can usually get these upright pianos free, but you have to haul them away. I can picture my yard now, a boneyard of old pianos, waiting for me to find their hidden treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread