fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I get older and can't enjoy a lot of the things I did, even 10 years ago I am leaning towards getting more into wildlife photography and i am thinking about upgrading my camera and adding a telephoto lens to my bag. Right now I am using a Nikon D5200 with about 4500 shutter clicks on it. I have a DX55-200mm, a dx 18-55mm and an newer FX 105mm macro lens. On the dx camera it is about 150mm.
I am seriously considering the Sigma !50-600mm FX as my go to lens for wildlife and I plan to purchase it first as I can use it with my present camera with an effective length of 250-750mm.
Maybe, with in the next year I will try to up grade the camera to a Nikon Zseries. IF I could I would get the Z7 today but it is not in my budget.
And that brings me to my final question, Would you have any problems buying a used lens from a reputable dealer. A new Sigma is selling for $939 with a 4 year warranty against defects and workmanship. I can get a used one rated 9 out of 10 for $549 with a 90 day warranty.
I haven't gotten into pricing the Z cameras too much because I am not at the point were I am ready to buy one.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't wait to see pics you post, fyrffytr1. As far as buying used anything, I would try to go with locally owned brick and mortar stores, if there is one in your area. I know people who buy things online and no problems though. We had one in Breck, he sold new and used, backed up everything he sold, and was a crack photographer himself. (Like every place else a normal person would want to shop at up here, he went out of business. I think they sell really expensive European handbags at that location now.)

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't wait to see pics you post, fyrffytr1. As far as buying used anything, I would try to go with locally owned brick and mortar stores, if there is one in your area. I know people who buy things online and no problems though. We had one in Breck, he sold new and used, backed up everything he sold, and was a crack photographer himself. (Like every place else a normal person would want to shop at up here, he went out of business. I think they sell really expensive European handbags at that location now.)
The closest camera store is about 100 miles from me. Heck, the closest Best Buy is 70 miles! I have looked at Market Place to see if there is anything available locally, but no luck.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gettin to be the same way up here. I tried to buy a tent online, but my shipping address is different than my mailing address, my phone says I'm calling from Dillon, my computer says I'm in Denver, and my answering machine is in Spanish. They wrote me off as a scammer.

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I get older and can't enjoy a lot of the things I did, even 10 years ago I am leaning towards getting more into wildlife photography and i am thinking about upgrading my camera and adding a telephoto lens to my bag. Right now I am using a Nikon D5200 with about 4500 shutter clicks on it. I have a DX55-200mm, a dx 18-55mm and an newer FX 105mm macro lens. On the dx camera it is about 150mm.
I am seriously considering the Sigma !50-600mm FX as my go to lens for wildlife and I plan to purchase it first as I can use it with my present camera with an effective length of 250-750mm.
Maybe, with in the next year I will try to up grade the camera to a Nikon Zseries. IF I could I would get the Z7 today but it is not in my budget.
And that brings me to my final question, Would you have any problems buying a used lens from a reputable dealer. A new Sigma is selling for $939 with a 4 year warranty against defects and workmanship. I can get a used one rated 9 out of 10 for $549 with a 90 day warranty.
I haven't gotten into pricing the Z cameras too much because I am not at the point were I am ready to buy one.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
I've bought used lenses with good results at fredmiranda.com You have to pay a membership fee to buy/sell there, but that keeps the scammers away. Also, look into the Nikon 200-500 zoom telephoto. It's a pretty nice lens for around a grand.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I bit the bullet and bid on a Nikon Nikkor 200-500mm lens on E-bay. For the first 5 days and 23 hours of a six day auction I was high bidder at $515. In the last hour the bids jumped, but I lucked out and got it for $15.00 under my high bid. The seller said it had only been used twice. When it arrived, if I didn't know better, I would have sworn it was brand new.
Now, I have to wait for the pollen to stop before I dare to take it outside!

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I bit the bullet and bid on a Nikon Nikkor 200-500mm lens on E-bay. For the first 5 days and 23 hours of a six day auction I was high bidder at $515. In the last hour the bids jumped, but I lucked out and got it for $15.00 under my high bid. The seller said it had only been used twice. When it arrived, if I didn't know better, I would have sworn it was brand new.
Now, I have to wait for the pollen to stop before I dare to take it outside!
I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. It's one of their best lenses for the price.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn if my first picture wasn't of three eagles standing together.I was so excited to get the shot and eager to get home and download it to post here. All three were in a row one behind the other, They stood like statues while I grabbed te shot, then I slowly backed away in hopes of no spooking them so others could enjoy the site.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my excitement I forgot to post the picture. Be easy on me, this is the first picture with the new lens and it may not look just right.

Attachments

• 20240311_135547.jpg
    20240311_135547.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 14

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my excitement I forgot to post the picture. Be easy on me, this is the first picture with the new lens and it may not look just right.
Keep at it. That 200-500 is a sweet lens. I usually keep mine on f/8. It has pretty fast focusing for a zoom lens. Here's a loggerhead shrike I photographed at f/8. The background is nicely blurred.
FB_IMG_1557430520479.jpg

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get most of my camera gear from B&H Photo/Video. They're in NYC and I'm in Pennsylvania do it's been all online purchases. I've bought several items in their used collection and have had very good luck with them. Their customer service has been excellent too. I have a local camera shop about 30 minutes' drive, but most of their prices are much higher than B&H.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. It's one of their best lenses for the price.
I get most of my camera gear from B&H Photo/Video. They're in NYC and I'm in Pennsylvania do it's been all online purchases. I've bought several items in their used collection and have had very good luck with them. Their customer service has been excellent too. I have a local camera shop about 30 minutes' drive, but most of their prices are much higher than B&H.
Do your home work and be certain you are dealing with a reputable company or person And know what you want and what they say they are trying to sell you are one and the same the same Ask if they have a return policy. And than ask yourself if the difference between a new one compared to a used 1 spread out over how long you expect to use it is really all that much over the amount it will used In other words if you pay $300 more for a new one but expect it will get a lot of use in the next 30 year that is not much If n the their had you only used it once or twice per year it would be better to get the used cheaper one It is a decision you can make The way it words for me is I pay more and than down the road see some thing that is much more to my liking and again buy the more costly one I suppose itis a medical condition similar to an addiction for which there is no cure JUST JOKING of course but I tell myself it is only money so spend it as you see fit

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting thread and what works.
It's a hard to figure out what to buy, or what suites the budget, for what purpose one wants the camera for.
Everything seemed far away (cell camera not an option)
I was throwing around the idea of getting a better camera.
The body then the lenses = $$$.
I finally bought the Nikon P1000.
It's alright for my needs, the greatest thing since slice bread no it isn't.
It likes lots of light I have found.
DSCN0986.JPG
Resized_FSCN0829(1).jpeg

This was from 800 feet away taken from the inside the house.
2 Ravens going at it.
Not the best shot, but the action is cool.
DSCN1346.JPG

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thread and what works.
It's a hard to figure out what to buy, or what suites the budget, for what purpose one wants the camera for.
Everything seemed far away (cell camera not an option)
I was throwing around the idea of getting a better camera.
The body then the lenses = $$$.
I finally bought the Nikon P1000.
It's alright for my needs, the greatest thing since slice bread no it isn't.
It likes lots of light I have found. View attachment 2138564 View attachment 2138565
This was from 800 feet away taken from the inside the house.
2 Ravens going at it.
Not the best shot, but the action is cool.
View attachment 2138566
I had a P900 but never could get a sharp picture with it, even on a tripod. I sent it back to Nikon and they said it was OK. I ended up giving it to my son.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread