Another question from a newbie

Akp43

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
As I posted in another topic, am I getting ready to hunt my grandmothers yard. Her house was buil in the 1800's. I am still a little confused with the mode setting on my detector. I had read that I should keep it on zero. (Garrett 350) But if that is the case what are the other mode settings for? For instance coins, relics, jewelry. Say I put my mode on jewelry, does that mean I won't get coin targets? Sorry for all the questions, there is just so much to learn.

Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if you search in all metal, you will also find a bunch of nails and junk. I would search in coin and dig all repeatable signals. good luck

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Set the detector to what you hope to find. If you set it to Zero, you will end up finding some junk like nails, but the tradeoff is you get your best depth with zero descrimination.

Any descrimination settings (coin, relic, jewelry) will set the machine to find those particular items, but it will still find some junk and you will lose some depth.

Personally, I'd hunt in Zero or relic. In Zero, you'll end up getting signals for everything, small rusty nails included. In Relic, it should descriminate out some of the nails and other small rusty junk, but it will still give you hits on larger iron such as horse shoes. You will still get signals for everything else like coins, buttons and bullets.

Since the house is an 1800's, I'd run Zero or Relic and I'd dig everything for a while to see what's there.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since the house (property) is old, expect to find old things. That is to say, old iron means relics. Don't pass up something simply because it registers iron. Dig it all, for now. Set to zero... or "no discrimination". TTC

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the row of blocks across the top of your display screen. When you scroll through the modes you will see that some blocks are missing in each mode. Whatever icon is above those missing blocks wont be heard. The amount of targets in zero discrimination may be overwhelming for a beginner. I would run in coin mode until you get used to it. Taking out those blocks is called notching. You can notch out any block you want to customize.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread