Any advice would help

Akp43

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
I am a newbie at MD'ing only been about 4 days now, but I am getting my pinpointing down Pretty good though. Anyway. I am heading to my grandmas yard this week. Her house was built in the 1800's and as far as I know, has never been detected.

My uncle lives there now and said he has found a couple of old coins just while digging the garden. So I am pretty excited. Any advice anyone could give to help me achieve the best results would be greatly appreciated :-)

Upvote 0

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slow and steady and dig all the signals and you should come up with some exciting unknowns

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has been my experience that the path between the back door and where the car is parked always produces... but mostly clad. Check around for the evidence that may indicate where a building MAY have been.... such as a tool shed or something. Hmmm, LOTS of things to look for. Where did Grandpa work on the old cars? How about under the big tree in the front yard.... that's where they sat before air-conditioning. Etc, etc. TTC

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget to ask Where the Cloths Line Was Or Is Start there!!! HH And Good Luck Chug!!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
garden & flower bed spots often have coins from folks having them drop out of pockets while working en em -- old folk often hid money their money from one another --wifes did not want their husbands spending her hard earned egg money on booze and husbands hid a bit of "fun money" from their penny pinching wives .

OP
OP
A

Akp43

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
Thank you everyone. Definitely some good advice. Will post my findings when I get back. Hopefully I have something worth showing :-)

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
don't forget to check the path from the house to the mailbox. back in the day, they would buy postage from the mailman at the box. also check in old flower beds around the house. if you can find the old outhouse check that path from the house

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would cover as much ground as I could while taking your time. Keep us posted with your finds.

OP
OP
A

Akp43

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
Ok so I detected my grandmas yard today. Absolutely horrible. For almost 5 hours I was there and came home with a pocket full of nails and screws. And 7 cents clad. Don't know what the problem was. But My detector didn't stop beeping. Had my sensitivity down 3 bars. Swithched back and forth in the mode, and everytime my detector would give me a dime signal, it would he a screw. Very frustrating. I don't know what I am doing or not doing. Ugh.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Old houses are notoriously iron filled, yet notoriously productive. Crank the sense way down and crank the scrim way up. That's the ticket.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are reeping the bennies of a spot that's never been dug before! Give it time. The good stuff is there. You just have to clean the "carpet" off first. TTC

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As the others said... you've got a good spot, but you've got to do a little yard keeping first. It can be frustrating, but it'll get better, the more you detect.

Go slow and listen closely. Be patient and persistant.

If you don't have a small 4.5" "sniper" coil, pick one up, it'll help you sniff around the nails for some good stuff being masked by the trash.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Search up and down the sides of the driveway. Decades of coins and keys being dropped.

Just take your time, move in small steps, and cover the area thoroughly.

And have a blast.

Please post your finds when you get back. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread