Another really neat nickel! Beautiful.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I really don't know what coins like this are called, but it is the neatest nickel that I have found yet.
I'll call it the witch's nickel..
Because of the font on the reverse. The United States of America has the trippy pointed hat letter A, the S also has a neat point sticking out of the top.
The right half of the obverse rim is higher than it should be, while the left side is flat.
There is some kind of Starburst type pattern about the entire coin.
A crack or something through Monticello.
Maybe a strike-through or rotated hub... No clue.
Too many things to list.
Double click on the pics for full size.
I think it is beautiful and even if it is worthless.. I am getting it slabbed.

20190214_001728_HDR.jpg
20190214_001736_HDR.jpg
20190214_001709_HDR.jpg
20190214_001701_HDR.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely a lot of things going on with that coin. I will try to address most and may not be totally correct, so other opinions are welcome. First off, Die Deterioration and possibly grease and/or a poorly annealed planchet could be the cause of the somewhat Starburst patterns and it is seen on Nickels and other Clad coins quite often. The Obverse Die was misaligned thus the offset on the Obverse rim with almost half being thinner and the other half thicker.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is climate global warming change causing that melting ice look ---

the tippie top of the A is a special surveillance antenna monitoring collusion at clandestine meetings with RRRRRUSSIANS!!!!!!:laughing9:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Huntsman, especially about the die deterioration.

The reverse is a great example showing severe die flow lines as a result of die deterioration.
Notice how all the little "ripples" on the reverse point in a direction from the rim towards the center. As the die strikes the planchet, the metal "flows" across the slightly convex surface of the die face. The more coins that are struck, the more cold metal flow causes microscopic grooves to appear on the surface of the die. When die maintenance is skipped (ie. polishing) or extreme age of the die is reached these die flow lines really show up. The harder metals like nickel and clad are especially hard on the dies. I think I read that the mint anticipates fewer coins being struck for each die with these coins than, say, the copper zinc cents.
As I understand the process, die maintenance such as polishing, is supposed keep this from being visible.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
BC - agree with what everyone said ahead. The '82 & '83 nickels very commonly have deteriorated dies like this.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks again for the replies.
I'll take every bit of knowledge that I can get.
I took one more pic.
The steps, you can't see it unless it is at an angle, but there is an extra bottom step.
It looks like a crack, but it is an extra raised strip of metal.
Are those die deterioration?
20190214_230159_HDR.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread