how many dies get killed to make just one coin issue???

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The number is likely many hundreds of Dies are produced for a single coin denomination production run and even then, they sometimes exhaust the entire supply of Dies due to failures and have to resort of bringing old, used Dies out of retirement. If all of the Coin Presses at the Philidelphia Mint are operational and in use, then that means that 65 pairs (Obverse and Reverse) of Dies are being used at the same time. Normally, once they start a production run for one denomination such as Cents, they do not start another production run for another denomination until the Cent production run is complete or as complete as they can make it.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that was next--- 65 presses, that's a lot of slammin' goin' on.... as always FRANK dishes the feast of infuurrmation:laughing9:

THANKS, Frank:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quality control is a thing of the past.
I have an old Philco refrigerator from the 40's that will freeze your beer solid.
Yep.. Those days are gone lol

We had one when I was a kid. Only reason we got rid of it was because tape wouldn't hold the handle on anymore! Lol!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
that was next--- 65 presses, that's a lot of slammin' goin' on.... as always FRANK dishes the feast of infuurrmation:laughing9:

THANKS, Frank:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Yeah but we still don't know how many Dies they produce for each denomination's production run. In all likelihood, that information is likely not available anywhere on the worldwide web or in books and it is doubtful that the Mints will divulge that information to anyone that is not authorized. Can you imagine 65 Coin Presses running simultaneously and each knocking out 720 coins per minute. That is 46,800 every minute as long as there are no breakdowns. Can you imagine the chaos that must ensue the minute a Production Day starts??!!:BangHead: I would bet that many Mint employees are raging alcoholics!

Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read some where that the newer presses have 4 die pair per press.

Let's see now.
720 per minute/4 dies per press= 180/ die/ minute divided by 60 seconds= 3 coins per second for each die pair.
(Probably a little heat build up on the die face.)

Assuming each Lincoln die pair produces +-1 million coins (John Wexler article?), that means 4,362 die pair are needed in Philly.
(4,272,800,000 Denver & 4,361,220,000 Philly- Billion with a B Lincoln- P&D cents produced in 2017 per Wikipedia .)

I think other info from the mint said roughly 749,000,000 were produced in the first two months of 2015 at Philly.

And.....
-720 per min. X 65 presses = 46,800 per minute (Thanks Huntsman)

-4,361,220,000 Philly LSC / 12 months = 363,435,000 coins per month

-363,435,000 coins per month/ 46,800 per minute = 7,765 minutes per month minting cents

-7,765 minutes/1,440 minutes in a day= 5.39 days each month minting cents
(if all presses are running at full capacity for every minute of every day.)

Press downtime would include time to change a die pair, machine maintenance, etc.
-363,435,000 coins per month/ 4,000,000 coins(4 diex1,000,000 coins) x 65 presses= 1.4 pair of dies/ coin press/ month
(Which I would guess means they may change the dies one time each month on each coin press during the six day production cycle?)

Sorry If I've put anyone to sleep:dontknow: but I was on a roll.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah but we still don't know how many Dies they produce for each denomination's production run. In all likelihood, that information is likely not available anywhere on the worldwide web or in books and it is doubtful that the Mints will divulge that information to anyone that is not authorized. Can you imagine 65 Coin Presses running simultaneously and each knocking out 720 coins per minute. That is 46,800 every minute as long as there are no breakdowns. Can you imagine the chaos that must ensue the minute a Production Day starts??!!:BangHead: I would bet that many Mint employees are raging alcoholics!

OR.....worse-------- libs:laughing9:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked in a production machine shop with dozens of screw machines (autolathes). You just put your ear plugs in and eventually got used to it. Gary

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quality control is a thing of the past.
I have an old Philco refrigerator from the 40's that will freeze your beer solid.
Yep.. Those days are gone lol

I still use my grand parents Kenmore washing machine, I think they bought it in the 1980s or maybe even 70s not sure. Still works fine, but no doubt it will fail any day now... who knows i guess.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions