Another School Yard and Playground

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Hunted another school yard and playground today with my Dad for a few hours. I hit a dime right away and then a crushed pop can right on the surface. I hate when I see that because I have to pick up someone else's trash that's right there. I probably dug more candy wrappers and pop can shards than I ever have in one hunt, but it turned out pretty good. You have to love the kids trying to use your detector. "I wanna try!" and they just go grab for it. They grab for the loot and everything. One girl wondered if I was "harming the natures"... I said, "I'm actually picking up all of the trash everyone of you probably dropped last year". I was in the playground and some teenagers were toying with me a little bit and then I pulled out the nitro right in front of them... to which they about crapped their pants.

Here's the haul for the evening:
300_2347_sm.jpg

Upvote 0

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pile of loot. :icon_pirat:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
You gotta love that battery $$$$$$......HH jgas

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Nice finds Son! Now you can buy your old man a sausage and egg McMuffin for breakfast.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Great job! I really hate when kids come up to me pestering me about what im doing. Seriously they are like
"Did you find anything?"....."What are you doing?"....."What's that thing do?"....."Can I help you?"....."Did you find anything yet?"
Have parents been buying a super long leash now or what?

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
juju said:
Nice pile of loot. :icon_pirat:
Yes thanks, it was definitely a spirit booster after not getting out to detect for a couple days.

jgas said:
You gotta love that battery $$$$$$......HH jgas
That reminds me I have to charge up my batteries... I was detecting with 2 bars on the ACE 250 last night.

litefire56 said:
Nice finds Son! Now you can buy your old man a sausage and egg McMuffin for breakfast.
Ooh, that's my favorite! Why don't you sell your ruby ring and by your dear oldest son a life supply of Suas/Egg&Chee McMuff's!

relichunters said:
Great job! I really hate when kids come up to me pestering me about what im doing. Seriously they are like
"Did you find anything?"....."What are you doing?"....."What's that thing do?"....."Can I help you?"....."Did you find anything yet?"
Have parents been buying a super long leash now or what?
Yeah I don't mind teaching them a little bit about what it is I'm doing and how they can get into the hobby relatively inexpensively (harbor freight - $30), but when they are crowded so close around the hole I'm trying to dig that I'm picking up their necklaces and change in their pockets, it's a little bit over the top. Now there's just no way I'm going to go to the playground if it's PACKED... kids are like piranhas and my detector is like a baby bunny rabbit. I'm tempted to tell them that you have to be 6 feet from the coil at all times or it will scramble your brain, but I don't want to instill any ill thoughts about metal detecting with them or they will run and tell their parents. What do other people do to shake the "pitbulls" off of your MD "meatstick"? I tell them to get back but as soon as I dig a hole they are all over me again.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Don't let those kids grab your metal detector, because if you do, and they think it's ok to do so to everyone who detects, they'll be quite surprised when I threaten their measley little lives...jk

But seriously, you've got to step in and let them know that's not cool. I understand the curiosity of little kids, but grabbing the detector and/or the goods is just plain stupid and someone ought to take their parents back to parenting school.

Joe

Paul4x4

Dec 31, 2007
Finland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/Pro-Pointer/Ace 250
twistidd said:
...they'll be quite surprised when I threaten their measley little lives...jk

LOL. That cracked me up pretty badly. I guess I'm done for tonight. 1:10AM here, so better go to bed... ;D

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
twistidd said:
Don't let those kids grab your metal detector, because if you do, and they think it's ok to do so to everyone who detects, they'll be quite surprised when I threaten their measley little lives...jk

But seriously, you've got to step in and let them know that's not cool. I understand the curiosity of little kids, but grabbing the detector and/or the goods is just plain stupid and someone ought to take their parents back to parenting school.

Joe
Don't worry, they go for it and I just hold it up in the air and tell them, "no, it's not yours". That seems to do the trick. I haven't had any tantrum brats yet.. but in all honesty I would just have to leave because most of these kids don't have their parents there.. just maybe some older siblings or something.

I just want to come up with a way to ward off the swarm of kids that come my way without giving MD'ing a bad rap. I guess just going when there are not that many kids at the park would be good, or changing locations if there is a bad group. Today I was at the park with a lot of kids and none of them came up to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread